What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s what is was last year, fellow brewers, felt it was justified because it covered both rounds, of course only a small number of entries from each location go to the final round. I guess we all have the choice of not competing if we feel the fees are too darn high. (I pay lower fees for professional educational conferences but they are not nearly as fun)

Oh. I am paying it. I just feel I would want to go 7 entries if it was cheaper. The price makes me cautious, which then makes me sadish.

IMG_20200115_152353.jpg

Cleaned fermenters and a keg

Care to share your recipe?

IMG_7536.JPG

I have a culture of yeast from a 6er of Bells amber that is over 5 years old. I just keep propping and splitting, this went on washed yeast from an oatmeal stout. Water is my tap water I had tested with ward and used Brun water for calcs

Used my Xmas grain mill for the first time and worked out all of the bugs (4 passes and 3 hours later). Thankfully I BIAB, so stuck sparge is a non-issue, it has a whole lotta flour at this point, and some stainless steel bits for good measure.

Brewing another Imperial Stout. 3 gallon batch. When it hits high krausen, I will dump in 1 3/4 gallons of last year’s batch which never finished fermenting. I tried 4 different yeasts last year, but no dice. I am hoping this year’s batch will eat itself stoopid and finish them both off. Otherwise, I may Brett the imperial stout and see what happens.

This is one of the reasons why I love being a home brewer-we get to play with our beer in ways that the #barrel brewer cannot.

Edit: I had to leave the parti-gyle soaking overnight, so tomorrow I will brew the 2nd runnings into something.

Last edited:
Prepped for brewing tomorrow, since it's supposed to get up to 37F. Much better prepared than the last (first) try at my new house. Also cutting the water with distilled to reduce the Na.
Also went to my LHBS and got ingredients for the next 3 brews + stocking up on essentials since I had $100 worth of gift certificates (thanks mom!)

Last edited:
Dry hopped the Georgetown Bodhizafa clone I brewed last weekend. Upped the ante by .5oz each of Citra and Mosaic, and the Chinook to 1oz. Gonna be a good one in a week or so. Tapped the lager I brewed a few weeks ago, good so far but has a strange bitter aftertaste (not hops) that's a bit quinine-ish. I've had it once before in a lager last year, it did eventually fade but I'd like to figure out what caused it.

I missed one of my grads catching a pass in the Chiefs-Titans game, but I had to brew the parti-gyle from yesterday's imperial stout before the wort caught a cold. It tastes like a nice British Amber, so I have 0 complaints.

The neighbors are starting to ask me for beer. I am giving most of them a session-weight West Coast IPA, as it is the closest thing to BMC that I make. I have one neighbor that wanted the full Brett year-on-oak sours I make (Red and Gold), so I guess there is joy all the way around.

Cleaned an empty keg that held Dead Ringer IPA. Started carbonating (set and forget mode) a keg of Caribou Slobber. Placed a keg of Dry Irish Stout in the kegerator to chill (where it will wait to carbonate until a tap is available). Baked a loaf of cinnamon raisin spent-grain bread and washed it down with some Brickwarmer Holiday Red while watching Vanna turn letters on Wheel of Fortune.

Worked on the kegerator. Framed the chalkboard paint above the tap, sanded, stained, and sealed the wood I mounted tap to. Final step is to remount tap, run and mount liquid and gas lines. Then of course clean and sanitize everything and brew and keg my 1st [emoji481]

So the Imperial Stout I brewed Saturday was foaming and bubbling, so I figured I could add some of last year’s batch to it to meld flavors. Apparently that got it really going so when I came back a few hours later to sniff the airlock it had erupted all over the brew table.

Awe-inspiring.

Heated strike water, dosed with minerals, weighed and milled grain, underlet mash, recirculated, transferred to brew kettle, sparged, transferred to brew kettle, heated to boiling, added hops, added whirlflock, chilled, transferred to fermenter, pitched yeast, cleaned RIMS tube, fed deer, cleaned mash tun, and cleaned brew kettle.

Cleaned a beer line, tap, and ball lock fitting with BLC recirculating using a Beckett fountain pump. Rinsed, reassembled, and made ready for the next keg of delicious and satisfying home brew!

I always clean these after every keg has kicked no matter what. Would not even think of skipping this important step.

Turned key in faucet lock counter clockwise, lowered faucet lock and set aside, placed mug under spout at 45° angle, pulled tap handle towards me, brought mug to upright position, pushed handle away from me, set mug on drip tray, returned faucet lock to original orientation, and turned key clockwise.

Turned key in faucet lock counter clockwise, lowered faucet lock and set aside, placed mug under spout at 45° angle, pulled tap handle towards me, brought mug to upright position, pushed handle away from me, set mug on drip tray, returned faucet lock to original orientation, and turned key clockwise.

You have a lock on it? You must have kids at home!

You have a lock on it? You must have kids at home!
Nope. A cat who jumps up and down on the keezer (and everything else.) Had visions of one day finding that chasing a fly had led to an empty keg and CO2 bottle. Better paranoid than beerless. [emoji16]

Back