Exciting Brewing Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernBrewMan

Reaction score
My wife and I had some family in this weekend for Thanksgiving so we used their labor to help bottle our first beer (BB Kit Oktoberfest). So I have 50 bottles of beer waiting for 3 weeks (per Revvy). We also racked our second batch (BB Kit Witbier) over to the carboy to make room for another brew. Needless to say my brother-in-law got very excited and was wanting to watch me brew and by the end of the weekend he was ready to order his own starter kit.

I had a Rye IPA kit from AHS that I got in Wednesday so on Sunday before they left I brewed it right up to show my brother-in-law the ins and outs of brewing. The kit was a mini-mash kit and was my first attempt at a mini-mash. I want to get into AG as soon as my space allows for it. The brew day went off without a hitch. I ended up doing most of the brewing as my co-brewmaster (SWMBO) went out to do some shopping as the 60 minute boil got started.

Last night a noticed a few bubbles going and got excited since this was the first time I had seen such early activity from the airlock. This morning the airlock bubbled non-stop as I went about putting away the China used for Thanksgiving. I then decided to take a peek into the brew closet just to get a nice whiff and I noticed my airlock was clogged and the cap had blown off. What to my wonderous eyes did I behold when I removed the lid but a beautiful head of krausen did appear. The interesting part was that the plastic grommet needed to be taken off and cleaned, sanitized and replaced well.......it fell into the fermenter.... Fret I did not and I sanitized my arm to retrieve the little bugger and all is well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/southernbrewman/albums/oops/1515-166/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/southernbrewman/albums/oops/1514-165/

nice run indeed!

I just wanted to say that I also ran that BB witbeir a while back (in the summer). Upon request from my wife, I added 1/2 bottle of blackberry flavoring (available at LHBS) at bottling time. After 3-4 weeks in the bottle, we love this stuff. I have to restrain myself, as this is supposed to be HER beer. Now, I've ordered the ingredients to do this one again (non-kit this time.. partial mash, should be good).

Some folks will say that the fruit flavor is a no-no shortcut, but I can't agree this time. I have no experience using REAL fruit, so I can't say much. All I know is that this blackberry wheat is damn good and I'd highly recommend an attempt. It might even be worth bottling half the beer with and half without, just to compare.

good luck in your new addiction!

Wow that does sound like a great bber. My wife loves the Framboise Lambic. I might have to try that next time.

Problem #1: Within 30 minutes of cleaning up the first blow off of the airlock...I just had a second blowout...Should I run to LHBS and get a blowoff setup? The notty in this kit is a beast! I am afraid for my life!

Just the few minutes that I typed this message and re-sanitized the airlock the top of my fermenter is full of krausen and beer. Should I hide the women and children?

I'd get a blow off going ASAP. Sounds like its fermenting fast enough that until you get the blowoff going, I'd pull the airlock out and put a moist, sanitized towel over the hole.

I finally got a blow-off tube going but the lid is still bulging and every 10-15 minutes I am pressing down to help the krausen flow into the overflow jug.

I finally got a blow-off tube going but the lid is still bulging and every 10-15 minutes I am pressing down to help the krausen flow into the overflow jug.

For the future I suggest using some Fermcap S, available from any homebrew retailer. A few drops of it right around when fermentation starts and you'll only get a couple of inches of krausen instead of explosive gallons. You don't even need to use a blowoff tube... and you don't lose precious beer due to krausen being blown out.

It's also used in the brew kettle, it prevents boilovers. I've boiled 7.5 gallons in an 8 gallon pot without a boilover using it :mug:

Back