bottle conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somecallmetex

Reaction score
If I cold condition my beer for a few days before a big get together is it fine to take the beer that wasn't drunk and place it back in the closet to continue aging, or do I need to keep it refrigerated once I start cold conditioning it?

Also, is two days long enough to keep chill fairly green beer before drinking, or would I be better off cold conditioning it a few extra days?

There are different opinions on this. Mine is... leave it in the refrigerator and drink it. I've had bad experiences with commercial beers getting skunked because of this and have read that home brewers sometimes have had the same results.

My anecdotal information and 3 years in a fraternity is the same as above: moving from cool to warm to cool can skunk a beer. The science behind it says something different. Skunking occurs when beer in clear bottles is exposed to sunlight. The light reacts with the hop lipids and creates off flavors.

I know that I've moved beers from the fridge to a closet many times without problems. Am I willing to say this can never create off flavors, no. But it hasn't for my homebrew.

Back