Little Bubbles and Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sak3358

Reaction score
Got a batch in secondary, Munich Helles. Looked at the carboy today, first time in 2 weeks, and noticed small patches of small bubbles and little yellow floaties on the surface. Normal? Or do I need to drink a beer and forget it. (racking in 1 week).

Thanks!

And the degassing sometimes kicks up yeast or even irish moss (if you used it) from the trub. The stuff should fall back down as you let it sit in secondary for a couple weeks.

Thanks! Yes I did use irish moss. It's going into week #3 in secondary, with plans to rack this weekend. I figure another 4-5 weeks in the kegs, a little forced carb and we'll be ready:drunk:

This happens in two different cases. First, when you warm up the fermenter, co2 that was perfectly happy staying in solution now jumps out pulling trub with it to the surface. The other time it happens is when you start racking off. CO2 at the bottom of the fermenter is actually under pressure from the weight of the beer on top and that's just enough to keep it in solution. Once you rack say 8" of beer off, that pressure drops and CO2 comes out of solution.

Back