Twist On The Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Went to a bar last weekend while visiting Boston and noticed they had a fairly local pumpkin ale on tap. It was from Shipyard Brewing Company out of Portland Maine I do believe. Well I ordered one and when they bartender handed it to me it had something on the rim similar to what you would get on a margarita. I was taken aback at first because I wasn't expecting it. But man was this pumpkin ale awesome. Not sure if the sugar mixture on the rim of the glass (I think it had sugar, brown sugar, and maybe some ginger or other pumpkin pie spices) made an okay beer awesome or a great beer even better but it made my night. I ordered another and they asked me if I would like some vanilla vodka mixed with it. I said sure why not and this put it over the top. It was hands down the best "speciality" drink/beer I had ever had. Just wondering if anyone else has had this or tried something like this with their pumpkin ale?

That sounds strange but AMAZING! I've never had a Pumpkin Ale (I'm a youngster new to most beers) but I love everything pumpkin and that extra vodka shot, I must try that!

It's pretty standard to have a pumpkin ale served with a rimmed glass. Typically it's a cinnamon sugar mixture on the rim. The other spices you tasted are probably in the beer itself :mug:

Back