How I Held My Mash Temps w/ BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Just brewed up a 2 gallon BIAB Saturday ----> Click here if you wanna see the recipe.

and thought I would share how I held the mash temps. I don't "think" I've read about anyone doing this, I'm sure they have and I'm sure there's a post about it somewhere... but anways...

This was my 2nd BIAB. When I did my FIRST BIAB, I used a 22 quart SS pot with a large grain bag stretched over the pot. When I got the strike temp where I wanted it and put the grain in, I hit my mash temp spot on. At that point I just put the lid on and left it for the 60 minute mash sitting on the stove. I know I had read about how some would keep checking the temps and turning the stove eye on to keep the temp up, but I was afraid to do that because I didn't want to risk scorching the wort or going over the mash temps. So after the 60 minutes I had lost about 7 degrees.

Sooo, on this second batch, it hit me that I had an old square beer cooler that would hold my 22 qt ss pot perfectly. So for this second batch I heated a gallon of water to 175 and dumped it in that cooler, closed the lid and let the cooler absorb some of the heat.

I had heated up my strike water on the stove at the same time I had heated that one gallon of water for the cooler. Of course my strike water was like 165 so after I added my grain and got my mash temp regulated to 153, I just took the 22 qt ss pot and sat it in the cooler where I had left the heated water. That water had regulated to 155 from the cooler absorbing the heat which surprised me that it evened out so well..

Shut the lid and didn't open it for the full 60 minutes and when I checked the temps, STILL at 153!!

Soo, just thought I'd share that, may be an option for someone that has a spare cooler sitting around or can get one cheap? Dunno if anyone has tried it but it worked well and I'll probably do that with all my BIAB's instead of wrapping in blankets or trying to regulate with the stove eye...

Just brewed up a 2 gallon BIAB Saturday ----> Click here if you wanna see the recipe.

and thought I would share how I held the mash temps. I don't "think" I've read about anyone doing this, I'm sure they have and I'm sure there's a post about it somewhere... but anways...

This was my 2nd BIAB. When I did my FIRST BIAB, I used a 22 quart SS pot with a large grain bag stretched over the pot. When I got the strike temp where I wanted it and put the grain in, I hit my mash temp spot on. At that point I just put the lid on and left it for the 60 minute mash sitting on the stove. I know I had read about how some would keep checking the temps and turning the stove eye on to keep the temp up, but I was afraid to do that because I didn't want to risk scorching the wort or going over the mash temps. So after the 60 minutes I had lost about 7 degrees.

Sooo, on this second batch, it hit me that I had an old square beer cooler that would hold my 22 qt ss pot perfectly. So for this second batch I heated a gallon of water to 175 and dumped it in that cooler, closed the lid and let the cooler absorb some of the heat.

I had heated up my strike water on the stove at the same time I had heated that one gallon of water for the cooler. Of course my strike water was like 165 so after I added my grain and got my mash temp regulated to 153, I just took the 22 qt ss pot and sat it in the cooler where I had left the heated water. That water had regulated to 155 from the cooler absorbing the heat which surprised me that it evened out so well..

Shut the lid and didn't open it for the full 60 minutes and when I checked the temps, STILL at 153!!

Soo, just thought I'd share that, may be an option for someone that has a spare cooler sitting around or can get one cheap? Dunno if anyone has tried it but it worked well and I'll probably do that with all my BIAB's instead of wrapping in blankets or trying to regulate with the stove eye...

I did a similar thing, except with a mini mash in a small (6 qt. maybe) soda/beer cooler.

For my mini mash there would have been too much head space in my 5 ga. brew kettle, and I did not have a smaller pot that would have worked so I improvised.

Put the bag in there, let it work it's magic. Held the temperature like a champ. Great alternative for folks wanting to try partial/mini mash.

you can also put the pot in a preheated oven...preheat to the lowest temp setting on the oven and then turn it off when you put the pot in...holds temp very well.

I have a Mr. Beer fermenter specifically because I can do lagers in a cooler. Thanks for the recipe.

I see what you did there but you could have just done the mash in the cooler itself, still with the bag. That would free up the pot for some sparge water that you could dunk the bag in.

I see what you did there but you could have just done the mash in the cooler itself, still with the bag. That would free up the pot for some sparge water that you could dunk the bag in.

yeah I actually thought about that, but I had another 20 qt pot on hand for the sparge water and the cooler needed scrubbing and I was lazy hahaha

Back