How late can I add top up water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
I got distracted last night by another project and didn't collect my full volume for the boil on my hefe. The airlock is barely bubbling now, and I just boiled 1 gal of water. The water is on ice now to get down to 70, and I was going to top off the fermenter, but it just occured to me this might be bad. If fermentation is just starting (14 hrs after pitching), am I ok pouring the water in?

yep. Heck, you could add it at bottling time if you wanted. That's how AB brews - concentrated ferments, and then dilute on the bottling line. It means they can get greater yields from their fermentors. Then again, they seem to think 'watery' is a desirable characteristic in most of their lineup.

Ok, water's in now. I was mainly worried about the oxygenation thing. too late to change now.

If you're only 14 hours out of pitching, aerating/oxygenating the wort could still be beneficial. The yeast will be able to use it to reproduce more. I've read that aeration can help until about 50% of the sugars have been fermented/you're halfway to your expected FG.

Latest posts

Back