Fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboyas157

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone uses the chest freezer they have for their kegs for the ferm chamber as well? I currently have 3 fridges/freezers in the house already and 5 roommates so no room for a second brewing fridge. How cold could i dispense at? Would i be able to lager and dispense?

Warm isnt my problem. My house gets up to 90 degrees at times but usually sits at 80 I can do some ales downstairs but I really cant control my temp

In theory if you could lager but you would have to have an initial setup to get our main fermentation done. So if you put your batch in a refrigerator for the main fermentation and then moved it to the chest freezer it would work fine. This is keeping in mine during the initial you have the temperature set correctly.

I was wondering if anyone uses the chest freezer they have for their kegs for the ferm chamber as well? I currently have 3 fridges/freezers in the house already and 5 roommates so no room for a second brewing fridge. How cold could i dispense at? Would i be able to lager and dispense?

would i put the brewbelt on my kegged beer? Also why would i need the refrigerator? I made a thermostat so i can control my temp. normally i keep it 40-43 degrees F i hear you should lager at 36 or so. is it ok to dispense kegged beer that cold?

Because you do a primary at a higher temp than 40-43 degrees to start out and then gradually drop it. For example:

I start with the wort ~50F, pitch the yeast and ferment @ ~52F for 2-3 weeks & then raise them up to 58F for 3 days for a diacetyl rest. Then slowly drop the temp 3-4F per day over the next week to ~40F. Then into the keg for lagering @ ~34F for a month or two depending on the beer.

You can do this in one vessel obviously if you have the flexibility with the temperature.

would i put the brewbelt on my kegged beer? Also why would i need the refrigerator? I made a thermostat so i can control my temp. normally i keep it 40-43 degrees F i hear you should lager at 36 or so. is it ok to dispense kegged beer that cold?

drummerboyas157 said:
would i put the brewbelt on my kegged beer?

You would put the brew belt around the fermenter, which is sitting next to your keg, which you want cold, which is a solution to not buying another fermentation chamber.

Back