BIAB recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msh227

Reaction score
If this has been answered please point me in right direction of thread.

My question is simple, does everyone use an all-grain recipe when using biab technique?

I want to try a biab brew just dont know what recipe guys/gals are using.

Thanks!

Yes. Biab let's you do all grain with out the mash tun and without needing sparge equipment. Everything is done in your big brew pot and squeeze the bag of grains after your mash out. You may want to pickup good heat resistant silicone, I think, gloves. 170 biab hot. Lol. Also get ready to make starters for your yeast.

Im game sounds fun.

I read the biab wiki but I dont recall seeing this issue addressed. Is it and I just missed this info?

Thanks for the help!

BIAB is really flexible, you can brew any recipe you want (that will fit in your pot, of course) - all-grain, partial, extract, doesn't matter.
You have to do a bit of math on some of the bigger all-grain to make sure you can fit everything into your kettle, however you can mash almost as thick as the traditional MLT (1.3 qt/lb). After you have the grains draining over the pot, you can sparge 'em with water to get to your desired boil level. Doesn't even need to be hot water, in my experience, as long as you did a mashout step on the bag (168 for 10 min). I've done this on a couple grain bills that were a little too big for the pot, and still got 70%-ish efficiency. Not amazing, but hey, the recipe was calculated at 72%, so it worked fine.

I recently began BIAB brewing and I've found that adding about 25% more grain than the traditional brew recipe calls for is a pretty good idea. I'm able to reach my gravity and quantity by doing this.

Odd thing happened this weekend. I brewed a cream of 3 crops with the 5 gallon recipe and finished with 1.044 when it should have been 1.040 with 5 gallons. Got really good efficiency I guess or I was a little drunky.

I'm pretty close to recipe as well with BIAB if said recipe is quoting around 75% eff. Even better as posted with smaller recipes (English bitter, cent blonde). Had a bad miss with an imperial stout where I only left myself with an inch of pot after grains water. I tend to do a 1.3 qt/lb and then batch sparge in second pot (that thing that came with an emergency turkey fryer purchase)!

I recently began BIAB brewing and I've found that adding about 25% more grain than the traditional brew recipe calls for is a pretty good idea. I'm able to reach my gravity and quantity by doing this.

crush finer.. or double crush the grain, that'll get the efficiency up without adding grain.

Mysticmead said:
crush finer.. or double crush the grain, that'll get the efficiency up without adding grain.

That's what I did this time. I forgot I was playing with the gap size.

Mysticmead said:
what gap size did you go with? I just set my barley crusher for .034 and it looks pretty much where I want it.

I was a wee bit drunk and my vision was blurry so I may have set it to around 0.35 or smaller or larger. Will have to check next time again. Sorry no help. I also forgot I was messing with it. Lol!!

I ran my grain thru the mill at the LHBS, he lets us do it ourselves, twice and brewed an American Stout. Figured 75% brew house eff when I ordered the grain. After brewing it only came in at 70%, but the funny thing is:

Beersmith said OG should be 72 at 75%
I re-set it to 70% and BS said OG should be 68
Measured OG after topping off w/water and mixing really well was 72.

I'm HAPPY. After two days SG was down to 32. Two more weeks to wait till next test.

Oh yea I'm doing BIAB 1.5 gallon batches.

Back