New at this - Temperature questions / concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingpl

Reaction score
I'm a beginner, I just brewed my first batch Saturday, two days ago. I was concerned about the temperature being too cold at night, but now I'm thinking it may have been too warm? When we checked it on Sunday AM it was about 76/77 on the thermometer that sticks on the outside of the carboy. The airlock was bubbling very actively, and there was alot of new foamy stuff on the top of the brew - I forgot what that foamy stuff is called. We took out of of the closet and the temp dropped to about 67 which is where it is now. The foamy stuff on top is pretty much gone now, and the airlock isn't really bubbling anymore.

Do you think the temp being over 75 overnight is okay? Will that make the beer taste, well, not-beer?

I think I am going to make a device to help control temperature - like a water bath, or a cooler box or something. I have read some ideas and some of them are really smart.

Thanks for all the good advice and info I am getting here.

Temperature control is one of the best things you can do to improve your beers. It will really make your brews better if you can keep them in the temp range for the yeast you are using. You will learn with more experience what works best in your situation.
76 degrees is a bit high for the average ale yeast, sometimes this will lead to some fruity flavors but if it was a short period of time then it will likely be OK.
67 is a good temp for most ales.

foamy stuff = krausen

Is your brew ruined? NO
Will your beer be the best you've ever tasted? Maybe, depends on your experience with good beer
Could your beer have been better? Sure, but that'll be true for the rest of your brewing life.

You'll get better and better with each batch. Then occasionally you'll have disasterous beers that try to kill you with problems. No biggy, we move on to the next batch:mug:

Thanks for responses guys. I am pretty excited to be making my own beer. Right now my favorite beers to buy are 'Unibroue' beers - Trois Pistoles is my current favorite. Hopefully I can make something like that eventually. I'll keep reading and learning, and of course, brewing.

surfingpl said:
Hopefully I can make something like that eventually.

It may be chalenging do without going to all grain (harder to get propery malts in extract form as aposed to grain). But it is absoulty possible.

surfingpl said:
Thanks for responses guys. I am pretty excited to be making my own beer. Right now my favorite beers to buy are 'Unibroue' beers - Trois Pistoles is my current favorite. Hopefully I can make something like that eventually. I'll keep reading and learning, and of course, brewing.
That's quite a big beer. I would start simpler and as you gain experience and get your technique down you will have the confidence to step up to the challenge.

I expect to do a few simpler 'beginner' brews before I try anything too difficult - just nice to have goal in mind for down the road. Thanks again.

I brewed my first Honey Brown and the temps stayed up on me around 73. The beer smells good and tastes good when you open it and drink it. But about half way through the beer, you'll start to notice a strong rubbing alcohol smell.

Most here attributed it to the higher temp for the ale yeast.

For my second batch, the basement was cooler, stayed around 67 and the beer is much better and there is no funky smells.

Latest posts

Back