Raisins as yeast?!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRock303

Reaction score
So I did a 3 gallon batch with 20 oz of Sun-maid brown raisins as yeast. It worked, it worked so good. They dry the regular(non-golden) raisins in the vineyard so there should be some legit wine yeasts on them. Going off this reasoning I did 20 oz of raisins and some nutrient and energizer. I then followed Upstate Mike and added his caramel mixture scaled back to three gallons. My lord it is delicious. I will try to answer questions on this thread if I have time.

Were they preserved with sulphite? What is alcohol tolerance and clearing like?

Were they preserved with sulphite? What is alcohol tolerance and clearing like?

That's my impression- that the golden raisins are not treated with sulfites but the regular raisins are. If the raisins are sulfited, then there would be no naturally present wild yeast on them.

Edit- or is it vice versa? The dark ones aren't sulfited, but the golden ones are?!?! I don't know, but I've used raisins as body builders in wine with no problems and no contamination from wild yeast.

Back