When to add the fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patbrew

Reaction score
:mug:I want to make a beer with a slight orange flavor, any advice on when to add the orange peels ?, during or after the boil? Thanks

Its pretty normal to add the peels 5 to 10 minutes before you remove the wort from the heat. The idea is to extract the good flavor and not the bad (think of tea, the longer you steep it the more bitter it gets). I usually do about 7 minutes with orange peel. Enjoy!

I added lemon zest to a wheat beer once. I added it to the secondary. Just use the zest, the colored part of the skin, not the white pith. Nuke it for about 5-10 seconds and then toss into the secondary. Added a very nice lemon background to the beer.

Lemon zest... ooh that sounds yummy... can you add it to your primary half way through? Like after it's been in the primary a week could you add some zest and leave for another week? (This would be an addition to a Coopers lager kit.)

If so, how much zest would I add?

You could add it anytime after the bulk of fermentation is done. Leave it in there untill you have the taste you want. IIRC I used about 3 strips of zest. I used a potato peeler and went from end to end lengthwise.

Oh fantastic... can't wait to try it... will wait until I've tried a few "plain" brews first before messing with it, but I love the idea of lemon flavouring in it... thanks!

Latest posts

Back