Infected bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhausen

Reaction score
Ok so something went wrong with my first batch. Beer is very sour. Question is is it good idea to reuse the bottles. Im bleaching all my equipment and will be more focused on sanitation next go around.

sanitation does not clean the bottles.......I boil my bottles before bottling.you'd be surprised what comes out of the bottle even when you think you cleaned them

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
sanitation does not clean the bottles.......I boil my bottles before bottling.you'd be surprised what comes out of the bottle even when you think you cleaned them

Sanitation doesn't clean bottles, but cleaning them does.... Soaking bottles in oxyclean or pbw and then sanitizing with star-San works for me.

TNGabe said:
Sanitation doesn't clean bottles, but cleaning them does.... Soaking bottles in oxyclean or pbw and then sanitizing with star-San works for me.

+1
Clean them properly and then sanitise

You probably all do this but make sure you fill them up with water, shake and rinse them 3 times after you've poured your brew. This will save you having to clean them later and sanitizing will be all you have to do.

IMPORTANT not to let sediment on the bottom dry out before you rinse them.

Wheelspin said:
You probably all do this but make sure you fill them up with water, shake and rinse them 3 times after you've poured your brew. This will save you having to clean them later and sanitizing will be all you have to do.

IMPORTANT not to let sediment on the bottom dry out before you rinse them.

+1 . I rinse my bottles really well after pouring beer in glass. Dry them upside down. When it's time to bottle I gather them up and just sanitize them with a vinator. Never had a problem. If you clean them from the start it makes things much easier down the road.

Back