Fermenting too long???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerritvb

Reaction score
I have my current brew in a secondary carboy, it has been there 2 weeks. I just went down to check on it and water in the airlock is balanced... meaning no more gas is being produced in the carboy.

Is this a bad sign? Or is it ok in terms of the health of the yeast and the future beer?

Thanks. I recently had a batch go bad, so I'm a little nervous.

It means the pressure within the vessel and outside of the vessel are equal and doesn't indicate much about fermentation. Take a gravity reading with your hydrometer and that will say a lot more about what is happening.

Agreed, check with the hydrometer. Sure, it's probably done fermenting, but leaving it a little longer isn't going to hurt anything either. And don't be nervous, the yeast will pick up on the bad vibes :p

two weeks ? consider 2 weeks more unless it's a wheat.
a balanced airlock may mean that not much more CO2 is being produced, but your beer is now conditioning - a good thing.

as long as you were careful about sanitizing, your beer could sit there a very long time.

I have found 3 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary works well. Also have done 2 weeks in primary and 1 in secondary works as well depending on what your brewing. The real test is taking a reading to be sure it's done, both between primary and the secondary. Secondary is really for clearing and/ or dry hoping.

Back