How to mount the plate chiller to the stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmunos

Reaction score
I have a two tier system with a pump, and I was wondering how people mount the chiller on the stand? Do you pump into the chiller or out? Pictures would be awesome!

You can see my setup here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stout-tanks-kettles-brew-rig-photos-262722/

Whether you pump in or pump out doesn't really matter as long as you don't restrict flow to the pump. Always regulate the rate with a valve that is after the pump output. I pump into my chiller and it works fine. Another consideration is that if you put your pump after your chiller then you have to run everything that you want to move through the chiller. On my set up, with the pump pre-chiller I'm only routing wort into the chiller when I'm chilling.

I have the one from dudadiesel with the mounting posts so I made a simple L-shaped bracket. The weight of the chiller is supported by a piece of 3" plate (1/8" thick). The thumbscrews screw through another piece of plate steel and secure it to the stand.
pumpandbracket.jpg

I mount them rotated 90 degrees from the photos shown. The reason being that the chiller can be fully drained after cleaning. I place a ball valve facing down on the two lower ports.

Hummm all are good ideas but I cant weld?
That does present a little bit of a problem. I've seen some use u-bolts. I picked up some velcro elastic straps at Lowes to support my trub/hop filter from brewershardware. They have a d-ring on one end so you could cinch it down pretty tight. Something like that might work for you. I prefer tool-less solutions which is why I went with thumbscrews on mine. Makes it so you can easily remove it for cleaning/draining.

This chiller is held in place by a piece of aluminum and 3/8 Stainless bolts
Note the orientation: this allows full draining for cleaning in place.
The wort is pumped IN to the chiller so when it comes time to clean, you can force cleaner through it.

P1010679.jpg

P1010678.jpg

Here's how I mounted mine. It's a horrible pic, and I am at work, but you get the idea.
chillermount.jpg

That is some 1/8" aluminum that I used my chassis punch (for punching the kettles)

Works out greatly.

Back