Fresh hop smell vs. store-bought dried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
I picked a cone off the top of my 2nd year centennial plant (no harvest first year) today for the first time.

Of course I expected the smell to be much stronger/better fresh off the vine, but holy cow! It was delicious!

I don't think they're quite ripe yet, but they're close, and the smell was extremely lemon-y; far more than I expect from centennial. I'm sure individual plants vary with any number of factors, but I'm wondering if that intense lemon smell/flavor will show up in my beers, or if the drying/freezing process will make them eventually smell more like store-bought dried hops?

The cones look to be of average size (not as big as the chinook cones I've seen pictures and videos of on this forum), and there was a lot of visible yellow lupulin inside. I think I'll check them again in a week or so and see how it's changed.

Yep. Not everyone is a fan of Chinook. This weekend I was brewing with home grown dried and sealed a year ago and my buddy was amazed at the aroma of my hops. I love home grown. :)

Back