Direct fire Boil Kettle - Bottom Drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefromcu

Reaction score
Wondering if any of you use a bottom drain on your boil kettle especially for those of you who are using direct fire.

I'm putting together a 1.6 bbl, 4 kettle system now and want a bottom drain on the BK (4th vessel is the whirlpool). Currently I have it drawn as being installed along the edge, as close to the sidewall on the bottom as I can get it.

My concern, or what I'm trying to figure out is how or what to use to hook up to that drain to protect it and the wort in it from scorching, how to hook up the line after the boil to connect to the pump for pumping to the WP, etc.

I was/am looking at a 1.5" triclover ferrule welded to the bottom, but am stuck at that point. that may not be the right idea...

Any help? Thanks!

You'll have to do some digging on this...the google option on the HBT search seems to work pretty well for the obscure stuff. This can be done, most people weld in a coupler, and then add an elbow and pipe that takes the wort out front through the bottom skirt, where you have your ball valve. One concern is scorching wort in the tube...but you'd have to ask someone who has actually done it. I wouldn't use a triclover, it'll just get jacked up.

I think bottom drains are the best way to go....it's a shame you don't see more of them!

I googled the heck out of it.
I'm not using a keggle but rather a custom S/S 25" diameter x 30" high kettle.
Thanks Steve, I kinda figured the triclover would get jacked up, that's where my brain stopped up and I thought to check what anyone else had done.

I wonder if you could insulate the drain and piping in the direct fire with some Rock Wool or other high temp insulation? I've used some stuff I got from Hotsy for my hot water washer. It is like a fiber mesh type blanket. Maybe wrap the plumbing and make a stainless shield so the flame hits the shield. Just a thought.

I think it all depends on your burner. You could easily plug the jet holes so that the drain pipe didn't receive any direct flame. Another way to prevent scorching is to take some of the wort from a side port and pump it back through the bottom drain. The flow could be slow and it would still work.

A 1.6 BBL kettle should have a ton of bottom area. I'd put the drain way off center, near the edge. Mount the vessel on the stand such that you shim up the far end by 1/4" and put the burner away from the drain. I don't see the problem.

Thanks guys.
The bottom is 25.15" in diameter (25" ID) so placing the burner slightly off center is no problem and I already planned on putting the drain far against the forward edge.

What would you all suggest for a drain? I was thinking of a 1.5" outlet reduced to 3/4 ball valve. What would you suggest for the parts that will be physically welded to the bottom of the kettle?

Back