Running your CFC without cooling water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croy9000

Reaction score
I just got my CFC like this one

Counterflow-wort-Chiller-th.jpg

Seems like I have read about people running boiling wort or water through it to sterilize before each use. I am concerned running it without cooling water could melt the outer garden hose. Thoughts? Or should I just stick to warm sanitizing solution?

I'm being lazy and copying my post from earlier today.

Just an FYI about boiling water to clean something:
When you use water hotter than 180F, you will lock in organic matter and may do more harm then good.

from ProBrewer.com

Pasteurization temperature is 140oF. Cleaning is most effective above 140oF but below 180oF. Just like in the brewing process temperatures over 180oF will cause some organic contaminates to precipitate proteins which can inhibit cleaning.

Getting your equipment beer ready is a two step process. First you have to clean and then sanitize. You shouldn't take a shortcut with boiling water.

I don't think you'll have any issues < 180F.

Interesting thought....I've always run boiling wort through for five minutes. Then after brewing during clean up I run some boiling water through to flush everything out.

The idea behind the heat sanitize thing is that even if the path isn't clean, it's still relatively sanitary. Using a contact sanitizer can't deal with soil like heat can. That's my theory anyway.

The truth is, the hose temp ratings have more to do with the pressure capacity at those elevated temps. Since the hot hose won't ever see much pressure in this use, it's fine. It's not like an open flame either. You only get that core copper up to like 200f for a couple minutes and turn the coolant on.

I'm being lazy and copying my post from earlier today.

Just an FYI about boiling water to clean something:
When you use water hotter than 180F, you will lock in organic matter and may do more harm then good.

from ProBrewer.com

Getting your equipment beer ready is a two step process. First you have to clean and then sanitize. You shouldn't take a shortcut with boiling water.

I don't think you'll have any issues < 180F.

I don't think he is talking about cleaning it.Just sterilizing it.

I don't use a CFC but even though I clean the ball valve in my keggle I still cycle boiling wort threw it just to give it that extra step in sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back