bud light wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always figured that Shock top was AB's version of Blue Moon, a macro version of a Belgian Wit, as opposed to a full on Wheat beer, like a hefe. I just discovered that I don't hate blue moon, actually this summer I discovered belgian wits like hoegaarden, and although nowhere nears a good as a true Belgian Wit, like hoegy, I found out that I won't hurl if blue moon is the only non "lite" bmc at a bar (though I toss out the orange slice)

I've never tried shocktop though, though I have been curious about it, that's why I am also curious this BLW as well. Not that I'd go out of my way to order it. I have just found that generally speaking, since I frequent sports bars quite a lot during hockey season (we have an IHL franchise in town) that I'm happier if there's at least one or two bmc's that I can tolerate, even if I have to go home after and rinse the taste out of my mouth with a "real" beer. :D

Well here in Virginia, the bottles are NOT twist offs. And though, the Bud Wheat has a better looking label than the Ale, they are made of clear plastic. The Ale bottles only require about 30 seconds under hot water and they are easily removed. The plastic labels are a PITA! I stopped even trying to remove those labels. It's like trying to skin a catfish!

As far as taste, the Wheat is kinda like a normal BL, but with a slight citrusy note... the label says coriander and citrus peels. Perhaps aimed at the Leiney Sunset Wheat crowd? Not the same but similar.

The Ale is actually pretty good.

The best part, I guess, is the fact that here, BMC, seem to have a price advantage that craft beers don't have. I can get a 12 pk of the Bud product for about $11. A sixer of craft (including Leiney and Sam Adams) is almost $9.

I get them for the bottles... soon my pipeline will be more effective.

IMO this exact same beer with a Stone Brewery bottle would be the best wheat beer ever. Too many people on here have made up their minds without seeing this in person let alone tasting it.

IMO this exact same beer with a Stone Brewery bottle would be the best wheat beer ever. Too many people on here have made up their minds without seeing this in person let alone tasting it.

I drink Budlight every saturday and sunday and have nothing against it.

Bud Light Golden Wheat is just that. it's bud light with a splash of a fake wit on top.

please, don't try to idolize this beer, it's not that great. the american ale is ok. I like Bud light and I'm not afraid to say it. but the golden wheat is awful

i would rather drink pabst blue ribbon then bud light. i hate bud light more then tecate light. in the battle of crap beer i choose coors original.

I actually just made that choice last night. Six pack of BL Wheat for $5.99 or a 4 pack of PBR pints for $2.99...

I went with the PBR. :tank:

Okay, what I said earlier about the B Wheat not being twist offs, just disregard. They ARE twist offs (damn my eyes!). The Ale bottles are not twist offs though... I just threw out a case of empty bottles.

I drink Budlight every saturday and sunday and have nothing against it.

Bud Light Golden Wheat is just that. it's bud light with a splash of a fake wit on top.

please, don't try to idolize this beer, it's not that great. the american ale is ok. I like Bud light and I'm not afraid to say it. but the golden wheat is awful

Calling people out for pre-judging is idolizing? Huh...interesting leap there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had BL Wheat this past weekend. First let me say I still will have the occasional Budweiser and maybe even a Bud Light when no other options are available. I appreciate both of the beers for what they are, excellently brewed American Lagers. Blue Moon was my favorite beer (before I got into home brewing and knew what good beer really was). Blue Moon was my "gateway beer".

I do have appreciation for well brewed beers even if they are BMC. However, the BLGW was absolutely awful. The wit taste did not mix well with the other flavors. It tasted forced and unbalanced. I actually poured mine out.

I had the opportunity to try one of the BL Wheats last night. Similar to many other people, I found it pretty bland and undesireable. I drank the whole thing, but I didn't go back for another. To me it tasted like a regular bud light with a slightly sour wheat note. And I mean SLIGHT. If I didn't know it was a BL wheat, I probably would have just thought it was a BL that had been poorly handled/stored. I don't plan to order it again.

I will most likely not try this. I tried the American Ale and felt it had no flavor. I had the Shocktop at a beer festival and despite horrible reviews of it I've seen on here, I actually liked it. I would drink it in a bar given less choices no problem. I do not like Bud Light, but not because it is BMC. There is always Miller Lite in our fridge. It's that or PBR usually when we go somewhere and take our own beer. It's just easier than dragging out the BMBF and filling bottles. Most get togethers are short notice. But based on people saying it's not bad, then saying it's like bud light with a little wheat on top, I see no reason to try it. Bud light to me is the poorest example beer being that it has zero taste. I'd rather drink something with a bad taste then no taste at all.

Everyone saying "Oh my God, I won't even try it" -- isn't that completely against what we're all claiming to be here for? Aren't we all open minded, beer enthusiasts... not snobs? I've tried it. Quite honestly -- it ain't bad. To each his own, obviously. But again... to not TRY it, is so counterproductive to the scene of what we're all doing.

And someone else said it best, if this had a label from some unknown brew pub in central Iowa -- you'd try it. You'd try it, and you'd probably like it. You wouldn't rave about it, but you wouldn't discount it purely based upon the packaging.

i haven't enjoyed bud light for a good 4 years, but i'm not against trying it.. however, i also haven't had a taste for wheats for about 2 years, so i assume i probably won't like it.

i had no hesitations in trying the bid american ale, and i like it, and it's always a great alternative for the bars that only have like 6 beers on tap.. but of course, i have shiner for that as well, which i standard in houston.

I absolutely love wheats. hefeweizens, fruit wheats, american wheats. bud for some reason this beer didn't sit well with me.

and I like bud light

I felt trying to mix the two didn't work for me. bud light is bud light and wheat is wheat. when they named it bud light golden wheat, they weren't kidding. it tastes like bud light and wheat mixed. not a good taste for me.

but what the hell do I know, I like bud light

You know what it's good for? Those intermediate times. For instance, poker nights. You don't wanna be the only ****** with a room temperature pint glass. Moreover, it's not the type of environment where you can truly savor your beverage. But at the same time, you don't want to drink anything out of a can. You do want to enjoy your beer. I find it to be a nice middle ground for amateur hour drinking.

In comes BLWheat. Nice out'a the bottle, just enough flavor to keep you drinking on the cheap. But you're not choking down Coors lite or regular Bud lites.

Okay, I think I have to retract my comment! I havnt even been able to finish this sixer that I got on the weekend. Today I've had three, after the first one, it all taste like water, so yeah, I would only order this if the choices were Budlight or BL Wheat. I dont understand why they have to create a wheat beer from Bud light. What is all this urgency to produce low calorie beers with no taste.

I tried it last night... and while it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting, I will never buy a 6 pack of it. It was incredibly watered down but there was a slight aroma of wheat if you searched hard enough... if I remember correctly.

Everyone saying "Oh my God, I won't even try it" -- isn't that completely against what we're all claiming to be here for?

I stopped in the store the other night to pick up a 6er. I started looking around. Great Lakes, Rogue, Bells, Stone, Goose Island, Thirsty Dog, Ommegang and more, all in my grocery store. I looked at the 6 pack of BL Wheat for 6.99, then at the pack of Thirsty Dog Old Leghumper Robust Porter for 8.50. I went with the one I knew would be a winner. I'll probably try it in a restaurant when I'm not tied to 6 crappy beers.

yeha but in a restaurant one crappy beer is gonna cost you 3 bucks. I'd rather pay the 7 and take the chance. if it sucks, then invite friends over. at the end of the day you have friends over and 6 more bottles for the collection

Everyone saying "Oh my God, I won't even try it" -- isn't that completely against what we're all claiming to be here for? Aren't we all open minded, beer enthusiasts... not snobs? I've tried it. Quite honestly -- it ain't bad. To each his own, obviously. But again... to not TRY it, is so counterproductive to the scene of what we're all doing.

And someone else said it best, if this had a label from some unknown brew pub in central Iowa -- you'd try it. You'd try it, and you'd probably like it. You wouldn't rave about it, but you wouldn't discount it purely based upon the packaging.

I based my "I won't try it" comment off other reviews here stating it tastes like budlight with a hint of wheat. I Know I HATE budlight, si I'm gonna pay for a 6'er of something that tastes like with a slight wheat taste. There are far better wheat beers.

As far as "what we're all claiming to be here for", I'm here for knowledge on homebrewing, not to drink as many different beers as possible regardless of how craptastic it is. I'm here for the enjoyment of beer, not to say I've drank everyone out there. I'm here for friends that share a common passion about drinking QUALITY beer, not the latest beer. So don't go summing us all into one category of "I need to drink this beer because it's new" people.
I was excited to try the American Ale and was thoroughly dissapointed as I expected to be. I gave it 3 chances, but it's not for me.
My choice in not trying it has nothing to do with it being a Bud Product, it's because it's reviewed to taste like Bud Light which IMO is the worst excuse for a beer I've seen. I have no problem drinking Miller lite, PBR, or Busch Light in the right setting, but will turn down a Bud Light any time.

I can't wait until Stephen Colbert starts endorsing Bud Light Golden Wheat! My favorite quote of his about Bud Light Lime is "Mmm, tastes like drinking Bud Light down wind of an artificial lime flavoring factory".

It may end up being decent. Anheuser-Busch was bought by the Belgian company InBev. They are the same conglomerate who own Stella Artois, Brahma, Beck's, Leffe, Boddingtons, Hoegaarden, Labatt, Löwenbräu, St. Pauli Girl and Tennent's. Alot of which are really great beers. Buds new wheat may only be using the Bud Light name for marketing purposes. They may only be trying to get people who have never ventured beyond their usual B-M-C to try something new. Their new wheat beer may actually be a decent one.

A lot of comparisons in this thread to full bodied beers. If you're going to compare a light beer, compare it with a light beer, not a regular.

If you drink it and don't like it, hey that's cool. Everyone has their own tastes ... and yes, there are a lot of beerheads that like to say they'd rather not drink a beer then drink a bud/miller/coors ... that's fine too. But unless you live near some good pubs or restaurants with good beer selections, a lot of times your choices are not that great.

Do I drink a bud light because it has great flavor, no, I'd much rather be drinking down a good oktoberfest or belgian dubbel. But a cold bud light to save on calories is not always a bad thing, to me at least. I still haven't figured out how to drink 300 calorie beers every night and keep the waistline down.

I thought it was better then bud light, and I'd buy it again.

~r~

I bought a six pack after reading all of this and it tasted like a light Belgian White Beer to me, like if you brewed a five gallon batch and used one third of the grains. It has an orange aftertaste but is kind of watered down compared to most White Beers I've tried. I have the AHS Belgian White on tap right now and it would be exactly like the bud light wheat if I poured half a pint and topped off with water.

I've only had a swig of it, but my thoughts were that it was better then Bud Lite... Needless to say I continued to order Sam Adams..

However, I think this can possibly be good for people to try new beers. But maybe I am just to hopeful and optimistic.

As a general rule I avoid any beer that has the words "bud" and/or "light" in the name, in any combination or separate...

Sam Adams light is actually pretty good.

I saw this on TV and almost bought it in the store last night. I'll probably give it a whirl sometime but not hoping for much

I bought a 6 pack of this the other week. It actually tasted pretty decent. It reminded me of a 'light' version of blue moon. You could taste the spices in the beer for sure. I was actually surprised, for being a Bud Light and all.

I'm actually keen on it.

Without the benefit of the company of anyone who new anything about beer, I drank bud light for a very long time. Then I moved to Colorado, and tried Fat Tire from New Belgium. Liked it.

Fat Tire led to Sunshine Wheat, which led to other Wheat beers, and then the "Awakening" as I like to refer to it. I think Bud Light Wheat will do the same thing for many Bud Light drinkers. If they like it, maybe they will buy another wheat at the store next time.

I saw a interview with Jim Koch, and he said that Sam Adams has 1/10 of 1% of the national beer market. Sam Adams is huge! Anything that gets some of the Bud Drinkers to start buying micro brews is fine by me.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

I'm actually keen on it.

Without the benefit of the company of anyone who new anything about beer, I drank bud light for a very long time. Then I moved to Colorado, and tried Fat Tire from New Belgium. Liked it.

Fat Tire led to Sunshine Wheat, which led to other Wheat beers, and then the "Awakening" as I like to refer to it. I think Bud Light Wheat will do the same thing for many Bud Light drinkers. If they like it, maybe they will buy another wheat at the store next time.

I saw a interview with Jim Koch, and he said that Sam Adams has 1/10 of 1% of the national beer market. Sam Adams is huge! Anything that gets some of the Bud Drinkers to start buying micro brews is fine by me.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

Not sure I would call liking wheat beers an awakening..

I just created a kit similar to BL Golden Wheat in case anyone wants it. The kit is called AHS Half Wit.

Forrest

Not sure I would call liking wheat beers an awakening..

I'm actually referring to realizing there's a whole world full of delicious beers out there. Up until that point, the primary beer I drank was Bud Light.

If some of the Bud Light Drinkers decide that they'll check out the beers in the microbrew section of their local liquor store, then it's a win.

Back