new to brewing...all this math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyRed

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to this brewing thing and am wondering how much I need to know and memorize about things such as: IBU, wort volume, ABV, Gravities, attenuation, and stuff like that. Are these things I have to know before or do I learn them gradually after brewing for a while?

Thanks for the help,
Grizz

If you start using kits no need to memorize. You will get used to the terminology and methods as you brew more.

then you can become more adventurous in making your own recipes.

You can make plenty of good beer without worrying about that stuff. As the previous poster said, just use kits for your first few batches. A great place to start are the Brewer's Best kits, found at most homebrew stores. They have pretty good instructions, and with a bit of reading on this site, you'll be fine.

There are also online brewing calculators and some brewing applications you can purchase. I still do the math on paper.

thanks guys, I think I will get a starter kit and supplies at Midwest. They seem to offer more for the buck and get good reviews. How long did it take you guys to expand on the basics and try new things?

Buy kits and the only thing you need to learn is how to read a hydrometer.

I started with extract recipes from a book at the Oakbarrel. Was doing all grain in a couple months, but I still do extract kits some of the time.

thanks guys, I think I will get a starter kit and supplies at Midwest. They seem to offer more for the buck and get good reviews. How long did it take you guys to expand on the basics and try new things?

Midwest is great- I have ordered stuff from here before. Also, be sure to check out Austin Homebrew & Northern Brewer. They have flat shipping rates, unlike MidWest,....but I'm not sure if it applies to heavier stuff like glass carboys. Either way, be sure to give them a look.

You really don't have to do a ton of math to brew. Especially with kits. Even if you get advanced in brewing there are computer programs that do almost all the math for you.

BeerSmith, ProMash, BeerTools Pro, the Recipator, and I'm sure there are some other I've forgotten, but those programs there will do all the math for you, and help a lot when it comes to making your own recipes.

Latest posts

Back