Heads up hop heads - Mosaic (HBC 369) at freshops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got around to brewing this mosaic ipa. Anyone else notice a ridiculous amount of stems in these hops from fresh hops? I wouldn't be surprised if there was an oz. of stems/sticks or more in an 8oz bag. I picked out several of the larger sticks but still ended up with several in the boil. I'm sure it will be fine but.....

I finally got around to brewing this mosaic ipa. Anyone else notice a ridiculous amount of stems in these hops from fresh hops? I wouldn't be surprised if there was an oz. of stems/sticks or more in an 8oz bag. I picked out several of the larger sticks but still ended up with several in the boil. I'm sure it will be fine but.....

I had 3-4 stems like these in a pound, no seeds. The total weight wasn't more than a 1/4 oz though.

ForumRunner_20130101_214441.jpg

Went to the brew shop on Monday and saw they had some in stock so I picked up 8oz. After reading through here I'm excited! I've been wanting to brew a 100% brett beer and these hops maybe the melon fruity goodness I'm looking for.

Picked up an ounce at Rebel, might pick up another along with some Sauvin. Maybe a pale ale with the combo? Hmmm

OK. Final verdict on this thing is...

Loads of Melon and Berries. My IPA tastes like a Snapple IPA.

I was getting a lot more complexity in the fermenter. But after 6 weeks from grain to glass, the melonberry fruitiness is taking charge.

I may chill on these hops until summer and brew some lighter fare with them. Or possibly pair them with a more aggressive hop to get some complexity.

But yeah... Snapple Kiwi-Mellon-Berry IPA is my overall impression.

I want to brew a pilot batch incorporating Mosaic but I was interested as to your hop schedule using Mosaic. Did you use them much for bittering or did you limit them to aroma at the end? They are listed as an aroma hop so I wasn't certain what you used for bittering. While I enjoy some fruit in an IPA I don't want to brew a "Snapple" as you described it. Very interesting that the fruit enhanced. Agree that there is a need for another bittering hop - just not certain which one. Curious as to what hops RR uses in their beer incorporating Mosaic.

Following up as I promised in December.

I dry hopped a double IPA with 1.5 ounces each of Simcoe and Mosaic. I also had a few ounces of Amarillo at flameout. So the aroma on this is fairly complex. However I am getting a good bit of tropical fruit, Jolly Rancher, pineapple, stone fruit in the aroma which I am attributing to the Mosaic given the other varieties I used.

As others have stated, I think this will be a good hop to use in combination with others like Simcoe, Citra, Cascade, etc. Terrapin Brewing in Athens, Ga, is releasing an all-Mosaic rye ale sometime soon which should be interesting.

Brewed an all late addition pale ale with Mosaic yesterday. I plan to dry hop with 2.5oz. Based on aroma out of the bag and while brewing this could definitely be my new favorite aroma hop. Reminds me of rhubarb crisp fresh out of the oven. Lots of sweet fruit and some dankness. I will post back with how the flavor/aroma develops.

I also found about 60 seeds and one nice stem in my 1# bag. I realize the seeds won't get you an exact clone but anyone have luck rejuvenating a dried out stem?

Yeah it’s dried. I didn't think it would work and read about a guy trying it and not having any luck. I’m still going to try it though haha. Either way should be able to get some of the seeds to sprout. Hopefully something good comes up.

Either way should be able to get some of the seeds to sprout. Hopefully something good comes up.
the seeds were kiln dried along with the rest of the plant, so they're most likely dead too. even if you could get them to sprout, chances are the plant you'd get would be a dude, flavor-wise. you'd be better off spending a few bucks on a centennial or cascade rhizome. those varieties have been proven. don't waste time and effort on something that has a 99% chance of mediocrity.

rjax420 said:
I made a 10 gallon batch of all mosiac double IPA this weekend and it smells very piney/earthy so far with a little fruit esters coming through now and again. I can't wait to try this monster. The recipe I used is as follows:

30# of 2row
1# Wheat
1# Crystal 120
1# Crystal 40
1# Crystal 10
1.5# Dextrose
8oz Cara-Pils

5oz Mosaic 60 min
3oz Mosaic 30 min
1oz Mosaic 5 min
1oz Mosaic 1 min

2oz Simcoe in Hopback
2oz Mosaic for Dry hops

OG=1.085 FG should be about 1.015 and around 9.1% and 118.7 IBU's according to beersmith.

Will post update when fermentation is complete and it's been kegged!

That's an absolute monster... Sounds awesome. Makes me wonder whether I was stupid only buying one ounce to test out.

Going to do an Experimental IPA using new hop varieties, plenty of Belma and Caliente, and the ounce of Mosaic at 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm thinking Belma at 15 minutes, 10 minutes, Mosaic at 5, and Caliente in the aroma spot as its supposed to not have much flavor.

That's an absolute monster... Sounds awesome. Makes me wonder whether I was stupid only buying one ounce to test out.
if i'm looking to get to know a hop, i will typically buy 3-5 oz and use it exclusively as the late additions. otherwise it can be hard to pick out it's contribution.

I'm thinking Belma at 15 minutes, 10 minutes, Mosaic at 5, and Caliente in the aroma spot as its supposed to not have much flavor.
chances are if the hop doesn't have much flavor, it probably won't have much aroma either. personally i'd put in the mosaic last and get its nose to stand out.

the seeds were kiln dried along with the rest of the plant, so they're most likely dead too. even if you could get them to sprout, chances are the plant you'd get would be a dude, flavor-wise. you'd be better off spending a few bucks on a centennial or cascade rhizome. those varieties have been proven. don't waste time and effort on something that has a 99% chance of mediocrity.

Well I soaked the stems in water for 24 hours and dipped them in root hormone. It only took 15 min to do so not a huge waste of time. The seeds most likely will be a total fail but the 1% chance that something amazing comes up that no one else has is worth it to me. I plan on getting a few rhizomes in March as well.

Kegging the Mosaic pale ale up this weekend. WLP007 finished the 1.050 beer in 3 days. Can't wait to try it!

No problem. The "crystal police" are always abound online, and while I've reeled back how much I use, I still like a fair bit of crystal in my bigger IPA's. I rarely go over 6% though.

Recipe sounds good though!

LOL @ "crystal police" it's so true. I don't really get why some people forget that taste is subjective...I too like a bit more crystal in my big Ipas, but rarely go over 6%....

LOL @ "crystal police" it's so true. I don't really get why some people forget that taste is subjective...I too like a bit more crystal in my big Ipas, but rarely go over 6%....

Yeah, I think people get apprehensive with it, if they are called out for going overboard with it. I find that in most examples, it's like under 8% in most beers, depending on the style.

I can see though, that when I'm trying a new hop, you don't want to make it so complex and wild that you can't learn about the hop and you'll end up masking and altering the flavor.

After that.. do what you like the taste of!

So.. any other updates in Mosaic? I'm really wanting to order some, but to make it worth it, I'll need something else with it.. Could get some more hops anyways.. but it'll be a $70+ order to make it worthwhile!

So.. any other updates in Mosaic?

i'll be tasting my mosaic dry-hopped this weekend. it's been two weeks since bottling:

i dry-hopped 6 gal of IPA with 5 oz of mosaic pellets bought from Farmhousebrewingsupply. smell was really nice but not overpowering - could have been because they were frozen. the pellets were really hard and dense as compared to every other frozen pellet i've used. they mostly sank when added to the carboy. some eventually floated to the surface, but well over half of the total hop matter stayed at the bottom, over the yeast cake. after a day i swirled the carboy to kick up the hops and ensure better contact with the beer.

beer was flavored with simcoe, cascade and just a touch of citra (bittered with columbus, not that it matters). i would have used mosaic in the boil but i hadn't received it yet. bottling on saturday.

Well I soaked the stems in water for 24 hours and dipped them in root hormone. It only took 15 min to do so not a huge waste of time. The seeds most likely will be a total fail but the 1% chance that something amazing comes up that no one else has is worth it to me. I plan on getting a few rhizomes in March as well.
soaking the seeds wasn't a huge waste of time, but trying to grow anything that sprouts almost certainly would be. first off you have a 50% chance of the plant being male. second, that 1% chance of getting something good is generous. hop breeders grow thousands of plants in hopes that one of them is worth pursuing. the chances that a single seed will yield something good are extremely low - and you'll only find out after a year or two. all that time and effort could be spent growing a centennial, cascade, or some other proven variety.

then again people still buy lottery tickets, so hope springs eternal :mug:

my mosaic dry-hopped IPA has been getting very positive reviews. it scored a 39 this weekend at a local competition!

a very "sweet" hop, if that makes any sense. i'm getting melons and fruit in the aroma but it's a little hard to pick out given the simcoe that was added at flameout (fruit + pine.... mmmmmmmmmm).

i'm looking froward to brewing an all mosaic IPA. actually, i might do 2/3 mosaic and 1/3 amarillo. would be a total fruit bomb.

My Mosaic Pale to be brewed Wednesday, January 16th.

4 Gallon batch

7# 2-Row
1# GoldPils Vienna
4oz 20L
4oz 40L
1oz 20 minutes
.5 oz 10 minutes
.5 oz 1 minute
1oz 10 Day DH
1pkg Safale s-05

90 minute boil

Projected abv 5.8%
Ibu 42
Srm 5.6

My LHBS had a Mosaic Red Ale. Out freakin standing! I tasted a little red wine flavor, very unique!

my mosaic dry-hopped IPA has been getting very positive reviews. it scored a 39 this weekend at a local competition!

a very "sweet" hop, if that makes any sense. i'm getting melons and fruit in the aroma but it's a little hard to pick out given the simcoe that was added at flameout (fruit + pine.... mmmmmmmmmm).

i'm looking froward to brewing an all mosaic IPA. actually, i might do 2/3 mosaic and 1/3 amarillo. would be a total fruit bomb.

Cool thanks for the info sweetcell. I have been waiting to see how it turned out. I have some amarillo as well. Maybe i will try that as well in my next IPA.

My LHBS has some Mosaic pellets and leaf.. But wanted like $3.00 an ounce. No friggin way.

Farmhouse has 4oz packs of pellets. Not to jack a vendors thread for another vendor though! :cross: Shipping would probably put you right back to square one though....

Can't wait to brew with these. Gonna do a nice APA and pair the Mosaic with Amarillo. Haven't brewed in almost a year(new house w/re-model) and am ITCHING to go.

:off:On a side note, I'm so done with Citra. I can't get over the catty "sharpness" it has. It just jumps out at me. This years Ruthless Rye has a lot of that character and I pick it up in the Torpedo as well.

Can't wait to brew with these. Gonna do a nice APA and pair the Mosaic with Amarillo. Haven't brewed in almost a year(new house w/re-model) and am ITCHING to go.

:off:On a side note, I'm so done with Citra. I can't get over the catty "sharpness" it has. It just jumps out at me. This years Ruthless Rye has a lot of that character and I pick it up in the Torpedo as well.

Damn! I've been waiting all year for ruthless to come out!

I'm waiting on my 'Mo Gumballhead to finish but it seems like a good pairing with wheat.

I'm pretty much in love with this right now. Going to be ordering a good amount to last me through the summer. Its begging for a hot summer day.

Next batch I might tweak a little with some orange and coriander.

90 min boil
9.3 SRM
63 IBU
.985 bitterness ratio
Amt Name %/IBU
9lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 69%
3lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 23 %
9.6 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) 4.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) 4.0 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 21.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min 25 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 16.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

Bottled this batch today and am pleased with how it turned out thus far. Initial impression is very strong grapefruit flavor and aroma. I fermented with a repitch of 1272 fermented cool (65/66) and then dry hopped with roughly 1oz Cascade and 1oz Mosaic (didn't break out the scale and eyeballed it) and let it sit at room temp (72) and dry hop for 5 days then cold crashed for two. I carbed it on the high side (2.6 vols) and am really looking forward to the first real taste test in a couple weeks. This batch went from 1.062 to 1.010 on the mark = 6.8% ABV.:tank:
I followed the above recipe for the most part (variation of what I posted a few pages back) but instead of 2oz at 5min, I had a 1lb bag of mosaic staring at me with 30 min left in the boil and decided to take 1oz split and throw a bit in every 5 minutes till flameout and only did 1oz at 5. Threw another handful at flameout as well for good measure.... I need to be careful on brew days with a big ole bag of hops sitting next to me. I get crazy ideas. So far this one has turned out (and looks/smells) great.:mug:

Some feedback from a brewer friend on the IPA I made.
"I like the fruity, almost PEZ like, character of the mosaic hop."

Another brewer friend loved it too and asked for a second bottle the next time I saw him.

I don't know if I will do another IPA with the hop...But it seems like people are enjoying the Pez-Snapple-Berry IPA I made with it.

Finally got to sample some of my mosaic blonde ale I made a few weeks ago. First here is the recipe:

6 gallon batch
OG: 1.056 (overshot my gravity a little)
FG: 1.010
IBU: 48

9 lbs 12 ounces American pale two row
1 lb Wheat malt
1 lb Vienna
12 ounces CaraPils
1 lb rice hulls

.5 ounce Columbus @60 min
1 ounce Mosaic @10 min
1.5 ounce Mosaic @5 min
.5 ounce Columbus @5 min
1.5 ounce Mosaic @flameout
3 ounce Mosaic Dry hop-8 days
2 ounce Columbus Dry hop-8 days

San Diego water profile
US-05

Notes: This is all uncarbonated. The smell is really intense. Loads of peach/stone fruit. A little bit of dankness. It definitely shares that characteristic from Simcoe. But overall, huge on the fruit. A little bit of pine from the Columbus.

The taste is more of the same. The dankness comes in more than in the smell though. Big and juicy peach flavor with a little citrus zest. The Columbus adds a good bit of pine. Not overpowering, but I think I would dial it back next time anyway, because the Mosaic character is really really wonderful.

I definitely want to make this a regular brew in my library. I probably wouldn't change the malt bill, either. It is my preference that this beer is very hop forward, and the malt adds a little bit of cracker character. Just how I like it.

Latest posts

Back