Dryhoping, Ready to be bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum

Reaction score
I have a quick question. My dry hopped IPA has been in the secondary for close to three weeks now and is ready to be bottled. I am concerned about one thing, there are still some floaties from the hop pellets on top of the beer. I don't really want this in the bottle...is this a problem? If so, any solutions?

Thanks,

Mark

Not sure how you bottle your beer but the small plastic bottle fillers that attach to the siphon tubing work great for that. I dont think they ever intended for them to filter small hop pieces, but just by design they work great. Last year I had the same issue and decided to go ahead and bottle. To my surprise that bottle filler caught all of it. I even had to clamp my siphon tubing remove the filler to get the small pieces out because It stopped up, but all you have to do is fill it with sanitizer and turn upside down, depress the little valve and it all comes out. Its just a piece of tubing with a spring loaded valve. It's not a problem in your brew, unless you have long term storage or competition brews to bottle. When you siphon you dont want a whole bunch, but a few pieces are not going to hurt anything, if you notice which bottles the piece or pieces may go in mark them and drink them first. Good luck!

Attach a hop bag or some form of filter to end of your siphon hose in the bottling bucket. I will catch the larger particles.

Blender said:
Attach a hop bag or some form of filter to end of your siphon hose in the bottling bucket. I will catch the larger particles.

Also try using whole hops opposed to hop pellets. This should cut down on the "floaties"

Kug
:rockin:

Kugster said:
Also try using whole hops opposed to hop pellets. This should cut down on the "floaties"

Kug
:rockin:

I wish I could have...kinda hard to find cascades now a days :)

Blender said:

I tried that this past weekend while bottling and it seemed to cause bubbles. this isn't airation is it?

Back