What would my best bet be with Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volcom-Brewer

Reaction score
This is my first time with a lager, so I want to make sure I got this right.

Recipe Type: Extract
Batch Size: 1 Gallon
Boil Volume: 1.14 Gallons
Original Gravity Estimate: 1.054
Final Gravity Estimate: 1.014
IBU: 23.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.2

1.50 lbs Munich Malt LME
0.25 oz Hallertauer (3.0%) 60 min
0.25 oz Hallertauer (3.0%) 30 min
Saflager S-23 Yeast

1: Ferment in Primary at 52*F for 2-3 weeks and increase to 68-72* for 36 Hrs
2: Bottle with 1/10 cup of priming sugar and lager at 34* in bottle for 8 weeks.
3: Let sit at 68-72* to carbonate for 2-3 weeks

(Maybe switch steps 2 and 3)

Then it should be ok. I'm wonder if with this yeast strain, would the diacetyl rest be too early at 2 weeks or too late at 3 weeks? Should I wait longer or less time? My question is, would what I have set up above work or should I do something different?

The diacetyl rest is best done when the beer is 75% of the way to FG, so somewhere around 1.020 or so would probably be a good place to do it, assuming the beer would finish in the 1.010-1.016 range. Timing by days won't work, since it may ferment much faster than two weeks, or maybe slower. You can just sort of eyeball it and do it when the primary slows down, if you're experienced in that.

If you're lagering in the bottle, you want to let the beer carb up before lagering. If you lager first, you may have trouble getting the beer to carb up after.

Instead of 1/10 cup of sugar, I suggest getting a scale and using 1-1.25 ounces to prime. In small batches, even a small deviation from the amount in 1/10 cup (if the sugar packs down) may cause some problems. I have a small kitchen scale, useful for hops and sugar.

My friend has a scale so we could use this. I'm pretty good at eyeballing it daily...as a matter of fact I tend to watch it too often :p but I'll know about when to do it. Otherwise I'll be alright I assume

Latest posts

Back