hops suggestions for oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I don't know enough about hops to choose my own...I am making an oatmeal stout with the leftover stuff I have here.
9 pounds 2 row
8 oz dextrine
8 oz flaked oats
6 oz black roasted barley
8 oz chocolate malt

I was gonna go with nugget for bittering ( 1 oz at 60 minutes) then cascade to get the IBU in style and centenniel for aroma.....Like I said if this is dumb please say so.

Just depends on what you want. In my stout I go with all fuggles, but it's more of an English style. If you're wanting more American style then you're on the right track.

I'd personally use an English or German hop. Something mild.

Citrus and Stout just don't appeal to me.

+1 ....a little ew

Last oatmeal stout I made used an English yeast so we went with Fuggles and East Kent Golding

Thats just it guys, I don't really know what I am after
I know I like the fuggle hops so I may go with that suggestion
How many IBU's do you guys suggest with that grain bill?

ok..
2 oz fuggles @ 60 mins
.5 oz @ 15 mins
.5 oz @1 min

I have some washed S-05 yeast I can use or I can buy whatever I need this afternoon.....what do you suggest?

s-05 is a great yeast. As is s-04. 05 is the American version and the 04 is the English. 05 will give you a cleaner finish with less esters.

s-05 is a great yeast. As is s-04. 05 is the American version and the 04 is the English. 05 will give you a cleaner finish with less esters.

I called the brew shop and he suggested the S-04 and a couple of others. I am also gonna give a shot at a barleywine recipe from off of here. THAT should be fun lol!!!

There is a whole style of stouts with the "C" American hops called American Stout
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php#1e

I imagine the flavors work or it would not be a style.

American Light lager is a style too. And we already know the general consensus about that. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. ;)

In fact, how about some durian in secondary to round out the Oatmeal?

American Light lager is a style too. And we already know the general consensus about that. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. ;)

In fact, how about some durian in secondary to round out the Oatmeal?

I'm listening...what is durian? Never mind.. I remember seeing that stuff on a food show...no thanks lol

ok..
2 oz fuggles @ 60 mins
.5 oz @ 15 mins
.5 oz @1 min

I have some washed S-05 yeast I can use or I can buy whatever I need this afternoon.....what do you suggest?

That looks like a great schedule if you'll be around an OG of 1.055 for five gallons; should get you around 36 IBU

And personally, I'd go with S-04 (or Nottingham, since it's cheaper :rockin:)... works really well with oatmeal stouts considering (I'm assuming) you're going for an English style

For my stouts and porters I like to bitter with Chinook and use some fuggles for flavor. Lately though I've been messing with Pacific Gem throughout and am quite pleased with the results.

Willamette works well both for bittering and aroma in a stout, IMHO. They are interchangeable with some of the british varieties.

Grains are mashing.. got about 20 minutes left...went with the fuggles and the S-04.

Back