Is Mash/Lauter Tun maxed out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
OK, I'm looking at a Irish Red recipe and the OG is a .062 w/13.75 lbs of grains. My current tun is a 5 gal cooler but I have a 10 gal cooler as well. I know its too big to use the 5 gal but will the false bottom I have for it work in my 10 gal cooler (fly sparge)? There will be a ring of about 2" around the false bottom that will not be suspended. Will this hurt me to the point I should wait and get another false bottom? I guess I could also look for another recipe.

Thoughts?

You still want all grain? Otherwise, step it down a notch and do a partial mash...
A false bottom is a large screen that prevents grains from getting into your wort after mashing/draining. If you have 2" gap around it, it won't work that well... grains will get down there and you may have stuck mash..

It will work fine so long as you can keep the false bottom secured in place against the bottom of the cooler. Don't worry about the 2" gap. The wort will flow right through this just as it flows through the rest of the grain bed. The stuck mash warning above is nonsense. A false bottom does not suspend the grain. The grain is suspended by the mash water. With the proper water/grain ratio the grain would be suspended with or without the false bottom in place.

Back