amber malt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadabar

Reaction score
I just used this for the first time...I think its going to turn out very well.

just curious who likes this and how do you use it.

I use it all the time, it's one of my favorite grains. I use small amounts somewhere between a quarter to a little over half a pound per 5.5 gallon batch. It provides a really nice warm, rustic bread crust type flavor. In my opinion, it is worlds better than biscuit/victory malt at getting some toasty notes in a beer.

It provides a really nice warm, rustic bread crust type flavor. In my opinion, it is worlds better than biscuit/victory malt at getting some toasty notes in a beer.
Had some Amber left over from the 11-11-11 Old Ale, so used it in a Robust Porter. Very pleased with the results.

But I'm with Airborneguy. I use Brown malt to get some of the same character. Just be careful not to over do it.

I use it quite often in small amounts - usually no more than 4% of the grist. At those levels it gives a nice, warm toasty bread crust flavor that goes great with a good MO. I find at that when using it at more than 6% it can give a burnt-cocoa powder quality to the beer. It is a great malt in browns/porters, ESB, milds, stout and low o.g pale bitters if you go easy on it.

I use a pinch (6 ounces) in one of my favorite IPA recipes (3.5% of the grainbill). I use it in porters, stouts, some ambers, some English style beers, etc. It's not easy to find! I think I got Thomas Fawcett amber malt from Brewmaster's Warehouse (that's my preference), and I know I got Crisp amber malt from them.

Airborneguy said:
I use Brown Malt, which is similar, a lot also. Thank your LHBS (if that's where you got it) because apparently amber and brown are hard to find.

yes thank the LHBS!

they are a little bit of a drive but its worth it. as of late they have really been getting good stock in. Ive switched over to them now. I was going threw brew masters. but now no simpsons :( plus the LHBS is for the most part cheaper.

I used 7%... but I tasted the wort and it was delicious. reminded me of clover honey.

the other 93% is MO...

Latest posts

Back