Beer Stuck in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlor20

Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping I can get some ideas for what to do with this beer:

I brewed a new Rye IPA recipe a few weeks ago, I have transferred it to the keg, hooked it up to my system, pulled the lever and... NOTHING. I can hear the gas going in and I can relieve pressure from the top, so I definitely have pressure. I have tried two different beer lines with the same issue, so the problem seems to be in the keg. I have switched the beer and gas lines to try to "blow out" whatever might be stopping the beer flow, and I can hear gas giong into the keg, but when I switch the lines back, I get a quick burst of beer and then nothing again.

Any suggestions? I feel locked out of my own beer! And if there isn't a way to get the beer out without transferring to a different vessel, how would I go about that without ruining the already carbonated beer?

Reduce the pressure, and take off the "out" post. It sounds like you've got some hops debris stuck in the poppit. Clean it, sanitize it, and put it back together. That should fix it.

Since the post is off, you might as well pull out the long diptube too just to make sure it's not filled with stuff as well, but it probably is just the poppit.

Have you tried swapping the post lines to see if you get flow then?

Sounds crazy but it can happen if you have a hybrid set-up. That is MFL disco's and swivel nuts on the lines.

Happened to me just the other day. I started blowing foam on a keg I had hooked up only a day or two ago. Turns out I had the lines crossed. Easy to do if you have pin-lock kegs.

You're clogging up. When I no chill and ferment in a corny this happens if i don't take care to leave as much trub behind as possible. You just keep clogging.

Typically, after 8-12 blow-backs, then trying to dispense, but only having very little come out (immediate clog), I get some type of success where it will transer for 50+% of the keg. Takes a while, but works.

I would say that you should just pull out the dip tube and shove some type of SS mesh or similar around it to form a filter. I'm planning on trying that the next time I get a keg that keeps clogging. Fitting that through the post hole might be a bit of a problem though :)

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I love that about this forum, you can always get what you need! I think I will go and try to disassemble the stem tomorrow (I really want this beer, it was supposed to be a great brew - or at least it was in my head, so I am anxious to try it).

Do you guys know the wrench or socket size to remove the valves on a ball valve (Pepsi) keg?

Thanks again!
Scott

When you disassemble, take off the CO2 line, and open the pressure release vent on top. KEEP it open. Otherwise, you will release pressure, remove the post, and CO2 will start to come out of solution and push beer out of the diptube and onto the floor.

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I love that about this forum, you can always get what you need! I think I will go and try to disassemble the stem tomorrow (I really want this beer, it was supposed to be a great brew - or at least it was in my head, so I am anxious to try it).

Do you guys know the wrench or socket size to remove the valves on a ball valve (Pepsi) keg?

Thanks again!
Scott

I'd have to look (I'm not at home) but you will want a deep well socket that's 7/8", 12-point if possible so you can do liquid and gas posts.

Found info that it could be 11/16" or 7/8"

I'd have to look (I'm not at home) but you will want a deep well socket that's 7/8", 12-point if possible so you can do liquid and gas posts.

Found info that it could be 11/16" or 7/8"

I ended up going over to Sears and buying the wrench from this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/corny-post-wrench-sears-120390/

It has both a 7/8 and an 11/16th ratchet that are open, so there is no need to even worry about socket depth... $10.46 at Sears, so not bad! I had to clean the valve 5 different times and bleed the debris out of the keg with a little pressure. Problem solved. Thanks for the help!

Back