Yeast nutrients DIY Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
Does anyone make their own yeast nutrient. BYO Magazine had a interesting article about the nutrients required and I was wondering if anyone already makes one?

"The zinc supplement showed that each tablet contains 15 mg of zinc as zinc gluconate. One quarter of a tablet of this supplement would provide approximately 0.2 ppm in a 5 gallon batch of wort; close to the recommended amount suggested for proper yeast nutrition.
B-complex supplement he found that it contains B3,B5 and B7; all the B vitamins reommended for proper yest nutrition. One quarter of a tablet should be sufficient for a 5gallon batch" jon stika byo writer

Pretty interesting considering the cost of the yeast nutrient supplements. i think.

An excellent source of yeast nutrient is ... yeast. Many LHBSs will give away or sell cheaply out-of-code, old dry yeast packets. Add a packet or two to the boil when you add the Irish Moss.

Yeast are horrible little cannibals...

Bob

An excellent source of yeast nutrient is ... yeast. Many LHBSs will give away or sell cheaply out-of-code, old dry yeast packets. Add a packet or two to the boil when you add the Irish Moss.

Bob

A suggestion for recycling those aged cakes?

Maybe you could just add cheap bread yeast then? If you are boiling it anyway it isn't going to return from the dead to spoil your beer. I wonder how much yeast, bread or otherwise, is sufficient in a 5 gallon batch?

My thoughts exactly! I've used both brewer's yeast and old bread yeast in the past.

They also package the stuff (brewers yeast) as a supplement at your whole foods or local GNC. I have even seen it packaged at Homeland Grocers in their Vitamins section and Ethnic Aisle.

They also package the stuff (brewers yeast) as a supplement at your whole foods or local GNC. I have even seen it packaged at Homeland Grocers in their Vitamins section and Ethnic Aisle.

I bought a can of Brewer's yeast at our local hippie mart, it was about 9 bucks, and using a teaspoon at a time it will probably last forever!:mug:

just don't add too much yeast. We used to use Yeast extract to grow both yeast and bacteria in a lab I used to work in and it smells quite raunchy!

Isnt nutrient just dead yeast??

IIRC some yeast nutrients are made by separating the inside of the cell from the cell wall. And obviously the inner-cellular stuff is the nutrient part... all the cell wall is cellulose and lignin.

He said he thinks they smush the yeast and throw away the crunchy parts.

No, there is a good podcast on the BN with Chris White from What labs. I remember him saying that old dead yeast was not that great of a nutrient.

Compared to prepared chemical nutrients, old, dead yeast is probably not as effective. But old, dead yeast is considerably less expensive than prepared nutrients.

Don't forget, Chris White would be an idiot if he didn't say that - he's a businessman trying to sell you stuff! He sells Servomyces. I'm not calling him a liar, no indeed. I'm just saying that there's no earthly reason for him to endorse a product that doesn't have a White Labs label on it.

Bob

AKA Marmite or Vegimite.

Marmite is made from (greater quantity first):
  • ingr.gif
  • Yeast Extract
  • Salt
  • Vegetable Extract
  • Vitamin: Niacin
  • Spices
  • Vitamins: B1, B2, Folic Acid, B12
It's the Veg Extract, and spices that would keep me from using Mar/Veg as a Yeast Nutrient.

The Brewers Yeast supplement from GNC however, is pure "debittered" (whatever that means) dry brewers yeast. 500/500mg tablets for $8.99 isn't a bad price to pay either.

Like with Campden tablets, I like to run them through a coffee grinder. I suspect that also does a nice job of ripping open many of the cell walls to make the innards readiliy available too.

I tend to think the vitamins are the most useful form. I never like a tool to work for just one thing. Plus, the quanities of the dead yeast are unknown. You never know how much you are adding. Finally, whats good for yeast is good for you too. Ill eat a vitamin not some dead yeast :eek:
All you are looking for are zinc and B vitamins.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Brewer's Yeast was a great source of B vitamins.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Brewer's Yeast was a great source of B vitamins.

I really dont know if it is or isnt. Lets assume it is. The next question is how much brewers yeast. Then lets say you get it amount right. What else comes along with brewers yeast? More of something you dont need?

I really dont know.

I think this article was really on to something with the use daily supplements. You make a very close approximate of what the yeast are missing, zinc and B.

Bob

I concur....

No, there is a good podcast on the BN with Chris White from What labs. I remember him saying that old dead yeast was not that great of a nutrient.

its my understanding.....and im nobody.... that u must boil the yeast to break down the cell walls ....then the nutrients are available for consumption

I really dont know if it is or isnt. Lets assume it is. The next question is how much brewers yeast. Then lets say you get it amount right. What else comes along with brewers yeast? More of something you dont need?

I really dont know.

I think this article was really on to something with the use daily supplements. You make a very close approximate of what the yeast are missing, zinc and B.

The can of Brewer's yeast I purchased is 100% brewer's yeast, no additives. I use it in conjunction with a little yeast energizer, I can't say if it has made a noticeable difference since every batch I have made is getting better with experience, but it is definitely not hurting anything.

Back to the OP's question though, could we make our own yeast nutrients with Zinc, yeast hulls, and B vitamins assuming there weren't any other additives in the products we would purchase to make said nutrient?

Latest posts

Back