Accurate digital thermometer w/ probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Looking for a good digital thermometer that i can submerse in the HLT and MLT. Tried doing a search but came up with too many threads and couldnt really tell what was good and what wasnt.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I haven't found one yet that will withstand the temps and pH. I tried a couple lab thermos in the $100 range but they both died. You'll also have to watch out for snagging the probe when you're stirring the mash. Now I use a kitchen meat thermometer that claims to be waterproof, even dishwasher safe. Not ideal but it's held up for the last two years.

This is the one I use and I like it a lot:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9121045

All kinds of type "k" probes are available that can be used with this unit instead of the original probe if desired. I use a plain bare junction themocouple in a DIY thermowell on my RIMS. This thermometer has proven itself to be accurate, rugged and reliable. Reasonably priced too.

Instead of a submersable thermometer/probe why not just make a thermowell like in this thread then just pick out a good digital thermometer. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-mashtun-thermowell-easy-cheap-156772/
I installed them in my set up and couldn't be happier.

Hmm.. i had thought of a thermowell, but i guess it didnt click that i could do the same for the mlt and hlt and just transfer the thermometer.

how well would a thermowell hold up on a hlt where it would be getting a good amount of heat? i would be worried about the plastic thermometer melting or going faulty with that amount of heat... or maybe i'm being paranoid:confused:

I have a weldless thermometer set in my brew kettle that I also use to heat my strike/sparge water. I then transfer to a cooler for my HLT. The two coolers I use have a thermowell installed to check temps with the digital thermometer. I had the same concerns about heating up the plastic thermometer, but if you put a heat sheild under the thermometer that would help and you also don't need to leave it in the thermowell the whole time either.

Didnt think about the heat shield idea (even though i've used the same setup on my sq14 since it liked to boil the wort in my sight glass lol). Thanks. I'm leaning towards the thermowell setup heavily now.

Do people get accurate readings with them? I know the link above referenced a .1 difference, but I wasnt sure if that was common or not.

I actually use (2) love controllers. One is functional (it actually controls the heat on the HLT) and the second one on the mash tun is strictly for temp read-outs. At the end of the boil, I take the temp probe out of the mash tun and drop it into the boil pot to tell me the temp of the wort as I cool. No more constantly taking temp readings, I just glance over at my mini-control panels. I've been very happy with this set-up.
Rig_sideview.jpg

I actually use (2) love controllers. One is functional (it actually controls the heat on the HLT) and the second one on the mash tun is strictly for temp read-outs. At the end of the boil, I take the temp probe out of the mash tun and drop it into the boil pot to tell me the temp of the wort as I cool. No more constantly taking temp readings, I just glance over at my mini-control panels. I've been very happy with this set-up.
Rig_sideview.jpg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but HOLY BEER!!!! That is a GORGEOUS brewing setup!!! Incredibly sexy! :mug:

Back