Leaking Post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So I'm not really sure what is going on here. I have a keg that is just over half full, on Friday I added some gas to it for serving (I usually leave the gas off until I need it to push the beer out) and left for the weekend. When I returned on Monday it looked like a little beer had come out through the bottom of the out post. Wasn't much, but it was enough that some leaked on to the floor in front of the kegerator.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Defective Keg?

Probably your poppet. Release presure, remove out post, pull out the poppet and check the rubber part. If its split or worn, replace it. If not, try putting a little keg lube on it and putting everything back together. Might not have been seated correctly. If this doesn't work, hit it with a screw driver.

DUDE, you have a beer gremlin thats taking your beer when you're not looking. Find that little bastige quick!

.....ditto what jdoiv said above....the poppet probably didn't seat correctly or was sticky from when you served out of it previously.

I recommend taking the ball lock connector apart and soaking it in some PWB or Oxiclean. Those thing can get gummed up after a few kegs and need to be cleaned regularly. That's why I put MFL connectors on my kegerator ball lock connectors.

If you had a QD and serving line on the out post it is most likely the post o-ring or the dip tube o-ring, as the poppet is depressed when the QD is connected. If the QD is not connected, it could be any or all of the above.

waskelton4 said:
What is MFL?

MLF means male flare. Here is a photo of a 1/4" male pipe thread X 1/4" male flare adapter.

check-valve.jpg

Bobby_M said:
You need to figure out if it's coming out the poppet or from under the post. If under, it's the O-ring that goes under the dip tube.

It definitely looks like it is coming from under the post. Guess I'll just have to check all my o-rings. Seems kind of weird cuz everything is brand new and clean clean clean.

Latest posts

Back