citra for an American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
Like the title implies, I was wondering about a willamette / Citra combination for an Amaerica Wheat. I've been wanting to geta wheat going for the nicer weather and thought the fruity characteristic of Citra might really compliment the style. any thoughts on this?

I recently brewed an American Wheat using amarillo and citra. Very tasty.

I have one on right now with all Amarillo. Citra would be a cool idea for sure. What yeast are you planning to use?

I planned on the Wyeast american wheat yeast. That said, I did a Belgian Wheat last year (loosely based on NB Sunshine wheat) that was stellar.

I would go light on the Citra personally. It's a very aromatic hop and could dominate the beer pretty easily.

I planned on the Wyeast american wheat yeast. That said, I did a Belgian Wheat last year (loosely based on NB Sunshine wheat) that was stellar.

That is the yeast I used (American Wheat). My experience with this yeast was that it needed an extended cold crash to get rid of a harsh aftertaste. That could have just been a mistake I made somewhere, but just FYI if you crack you're first bottle/pour your first pint, and it has a funny after taste, wait another 2-3 weeks and it'll be fine.

use some orange peel and corriander to get a nice citrus taste too. I use fresh orange peels and it is awesome, just like the peels of 2 oranges. But you can use tangerines too.

What sort of hopping schedule were you guys using with the Citra? I was thinking about trying a citra-wheat myself and adding some citrus fruit to it since the hop has such a grapefruity flavor to it.

I'm looking to make a "porch-pounder" for when the hot weather comes.

Back