Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's stable at 1.018 and it's been a while since you brewed it, it's done.

Stable or not, its bottled! :D I figure it's done though; two weeks in primary and another week in secondary for dry hop.

Looking forward to this in another 3-4 weeks. The sample tasted pretty good so carbonation and conditioning should result in a tasty brew!

Thanks for the recipe and the feedback Denny!!

Well I brewed this up about a month and a half ago and recently kegged it. I must say, this is really an awesome beer, one of the best I have ever made. A second batch will soon be coming to a brew day near me!

I followed the recipe with the following exceptions:

1. I was planning to use some CTZ I had in the freezer for the initial hop addition. But when I opened the package it smelled like 5-year-old Lindberger cheese. I wasn't going to put that into my wort, so I switched in an appropriate amount of a generic bittering hop I had (Magnum I think?) figuring that all I'd get out of the 60-min addition would be bitterness anyway. I had more than enough time to go get some Columbus to dry hop with, so that's what I did.

2. I over-boiled it somewhat and ended up with about a 4.5 gal batch rather than a 5-gal batch, but didn't adjust the hopping. So it's QUITE bitter, but it's really still not out of line for a hoppy IPA.

Anyhow, I'm loving this beer and will definitely come back to it.

Stable or not, its bottled! :D I figure it's done though; two weeks in primary and another week in secondary for dry hop.

Looking forward to this in another 3-4 weeks. The sample tasted pretty good so carbonation and conditioning should result in a tasty brew!

Thanks for the recipe and the feedback Denny!!

FWIW, I give it at least 3 weeks, usually 4, in primary, then dry hop for a week or 2.

Well I gave this a try from NB kit. Not my best brew day. Ran out of propane with about 10 min left in the boil after I just added more extract in at the 15 min mark. Kept it covered to try to keep heat in. Then added water first to the fermenter which I never do and then realized I started with more than the 2.5 gallons so when I added the wort it was watered down due to water already in the fermenter. Took OG and was a bit under 1.07. Still pitched with two bags of Denny's Strain of Wyeast and followed the rest of the instructions. Final G was still around 1.02..Bottled and let it sit one week. I tested one tonight, and was carbonated already, smelled great, but had a sweet taste to it. I knew that I made mistakes but was still hoping to make it out in the end ok..not sure but hoping after another week or two in bottle that will change. Any thoughts..time will tell.

JJ

My fear would be that at 1.020 it may not have been done fermenting when you bottled. That high FG would certainly contribute to the sweetness you are tasting. How long did you let it ferment before bottling?

I let it ferment in the primary for a good two weeks and put into secondary again for a good two and half weeks. It feremented strong too and almost needed a blowoff tube for it. Like I said I made some mistakes so I'm not shocked..just hoped that with the double batch of yeast it would have gotten a lower FG.

Everyone loves beer images right? We made labels for this one, but went with the name 'Seven SamuRye'
I bottled this last weekend. I had missed my OG (1.065) but it went all the way down to 1.005, so it's still about 7.5%. Using Columbus and Hallertauer Hops it's not overpoweringly bitter, but had a very nice grapefruit taste, and although it's quite dry there's a little rye sweetness left.
I would definitely make this again.

Rye PA.jpg

I doubt that had anything to do with it. Maybe the mill wasn't tight enough to mill the rye sufficiently.

I think this played a part in my low efficiency today. Hit 1.056, but I'm not worried. Tasted great!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Planning on brewing this Friday. 5 gal. Batch on my BIAB system.
Have a 3qt starter of wyeast 1450(Denny's Fav 50) going now.
Has anyone ever used some flaked rye in this beer? I was thinking of adding #1 of it. Good idea? Bad idea? Thx

Planning on brewing this Friday. 5 gal. Batch on my BIAB system.
Have a 3qt starter of wyeast 1450(Denny's Fav 50) going now.
Has anyone ever used some flaked rye in this beer? I was thinking of adding #1 of it. Good idea? Bad idea? Thx

Start by asking why...what do you expect to get from it? My experience is that flaked rye has much less flavor than malted rye. And why not brew the beer as is the first time to see what it is before making changes to a tried and true recipe?

Thanks for the response Denny. I brewed this last fall with wyeast 1056. I wanted a little more kick from the rye. I thought the recipe was excellent though, as well as your bourbon vanilla porter!
I should have been a little more thorough in my original post.
I had read that flaked rye will give you more spice with less rye flavor. I am curious if anyone has tried using it in this recipe. I'm always happy to experiment...but also appreciate input.
I'm thinking if I do it I will just add the flaked rye on top of the original grainbill and adjust up the hops a bit to hit the desired IBU's.
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but, want to adjust for my tastes.
Thanks, Scott.

I used to let it go through a long primary, then dry hop in primary. After reading some things about the interaction of yeast and hops, I went back to racking to secondary and dry hopping there. Much better results. I usually do a 3-4 week primary, rack and dry hop for 1-2 weeks, then keg with more dry hops.

Hi Denny,
Dry hops... would 1oz columbus in secondary and 1oz in the keg be about right? And what is your technique for dry hops in the keg?
Thanks

Hi Denny,
Dry hops... would 1oz columbus in secondary and 1oz in the keg be about right? And what is your technique for dry hops in the keg?
Thanks

That's what I do for about every batch. For the keg, I put the dry hops in a muslin bag and tie the bag to the top of the diptube using monofilament.

That's what I do for about every batch. For the keg, I put the dry hops in a muslin bag and tie the bag to the top of the diptube using monofilament.

Awesome thanks. I've got a double batch of this fermenting now hoping to have it ready on April 1. It will get 3 weeks in primary, 8 days in secondary, 15 days in the keg.

One issue. Underestimated trub and hop debris in the kettle. Collected 14 gal, ended boil with 11.6, only was able to get 9.2 into my fermenters. Should have tried straining the trub but was ready to be done. OG 1.074, 78 IBU, I'm looking forward to this one.

I made a close version of Denny's Rye IPA. On brew day I realized I forgot the C60, so I added half as much C120, and bumped the base malt by the other half. Not the best solution, but It was the best I could do on the fly. I also adjusted my malt bill to allow for the water adjustments in the Brewing Chemistry Primer sticky, adding acid malt to my very soft tap water. Fermented 21 days, and used gelatin as a fining for another 7 days at 35F to drop the yeast, and since I don't keg, I tried to add a kegged dry hop character by steeping the Mt. Hood in the priming sugar before putting it in the bottling bucket. I've gotten great feedback from friends, and won a Gold in an AHA/BJCP competition in the Specialty Beer Category. Thanks, Denny for the great recipe, and for your participation here and on The Brewing Network!

I made a close version of Denny's Rye IPA. On brew day I realized I forgot the C60, so I added half as much C120, and bumped the base malt by the other half. Not the best solution, but It was the best I could do on the fly. I also adjusted my malt bill to allow for the water adjustments in the Brewing Chemistry Primer sticky, adding acid malt to my very soft tap water. Fermented 21 days, and used gelatin as a fining for another 7 days at 35F to drop the yeast, and since I don't keg, I tried to add a kegged dry hop character by steeping the Mt. Hood in the priming sugar before putting it in the bottling bucket. I've gotten great feedback from friends, and won a Gold in an AHA/BJCP competition in the Specialty Beer Category. Thanks, Denny for the great recipe, and for your participation here and on The Brewing Network!

Congrats and thanks, but since you didn't really brew my beer, it's good on you! Not sure why you needed to drop the pH of soft water, but I guess you know!

Congrats and thanks, but since you didn't really brew my beer, it's good on you! Not sure why you needed to drop the pH of soft water, but I guess you know!

You still deserve some credit for the basis of a great beer. I also don't batch sparge or make a 3 liter starter or live in Oregon. The only folks who could brew YOUR exact beer would be those who also use your exact techniques, water and equipment.

I'll send you a bomber if you're interested, and you can tell me how it compares.

You still deserve some credit for the basis of a great beer. I also don't batch sparge or make a 3 liter starter or live in Oregon. The only folks who could brew YOUR exact beer would be those who also use your exact techniques, water and equipment.

I'll send you a bomber if you're interested, and you can tell me how it compares.

I'd love to! PM me.

Start by asking why...what do you expect to get from it? My experience is that flaked rye has much less flavor than malted rye. And why not brew the beer as is the first time to see what it is before making changes to a tried and true recipe?

Made a 5gal batch with the 1# of flaked rye added to the original recipe.....turned out fantastic. The rye hits you a bit more than the original. Also seems to have a bit more mouthfeel and body.
Very much enjoy this beer and got what I was looking for with the extra addition of flaked rye.
Thanks for the original recipe Denny!

I brewed a half recipe of this about 6 weeks ago, and after 2 weeks in the bottle, couldn't wait any longer and tried one. It's an amazing beer; easily the best I've brewed, and I would pick it over having any other IPA of my choice from the store. I brewed the the Wyeast 1450, and I think that was key. Great mouthfeel, hop aromas not too citrusy, balanced well with the malty rye.

I did have a bit of a low OG reading (1.060), but am still dialing in my all grain brewing so wasn't worried about it, and the recipe still tasted great. Got a new mash tun, and I decided this has to be my next brew as well.

Cheers, and thanks for the great recipe!

I've been thinking of brewing this for a couple years or so, and finally brewed it today. My LHBS is 1.5 hrs away in Birmingham and it doesn't carry Wyeast, so part of the holdup was me waiting until I actually had all the proper ingredients. A place called "Hop City" moved into B'ham and carries some homebrew supplies (including Wyeast), but really shines when it comes to bottled beer selection.

I overshot my volume and ended up at 1.069. I guess I should have aimed to duplicate Denny's high boil off rate.

I've been thinking of brewing this for a couple years or so, and finally brewed it today. My LHBS is 1.5 hrs away in Birmingham and it doesn't carry Wyeast, so part of the holdup was me waiting until I actually had all the proper ingredients. A place called "Hop City" moved into B'ham and carries some homebrew supplies (including Wyeast), but really shines when it comes to bottled beer selection.

I overshot my volume and ended up at 1.069. I guess I should have aimed to duplicate Denny's high boil off rate.

Close enough, man. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, Denny. I'm looking forward to it.

I pitched into 63 degree wort and set it to stay in the 64-65 range. Krausen was already beginning last night. This morning, I saw this:

10363938_870482639632239_5057804258125369903_n.jpg

I made this up for an upcoming party (End of July) for the second time 3 weeks ago so I am getting ready to either secondary this or let it sit a little longer. I have a question that I think I already know the answer to, but it would be great to get confirmation from someone who has done this before.

My question: Is there any difference if I were to rack this to secondary, let it sit for around 2.5 weeks and then dry hopped for 5 days in the secondary OR if I kegged this after 4 weeks in the primary (cold crashing as well) and then dry hopped in the keg closer to a party date when this will be served?

I know that secondarying does help to remove even more sediment but I figure if I cold crash this in the primary after 4 weeks in the primary, I should have a pretty clear beer in the end. My goal is to have optimal hop aroma for serving so I figure tossing in a hop sack a few days before our party, this would be my best bet. I have never dry hopped in the keg so that is my only concern.

Please let me know if anyone has done this and your experience. Thanks!

Dry hopping in the keg is going to take you a lot longer to extract the aroma, due to the cold. I think a couple weeks in the keg is a minimum.

Dry hopping in the keg is going to take you a lot longer to extract the aroma, due to the cold. I think a couple weeks in the keg is a minimum.

Great point, maybe I will split the difference and keg it up after 4 weeks primary and let it sit until closer to our party, then toss in the hops for a few days. I would then put it in my keezer to carb up for a week before while cooling down, with the hops still in it.

Any issues with that?

I made this up for an upcoming party (End of July) for the second time 3 weeks ago so I am getting ready to either secondary this or let it sit a little longer. I have a question that I think I already know the answer to, but it would be great to get confirmation from someone who has done this before.

My question: Is there any difference if I were to rack this to secondary, let it sit for around 2.5 weeks and then dry hopped for 5 days in the secondary OR if I kegged this after 4 weeks in the primary (cold crashing as well) and then dry hopped in the keg closer to a party date when this will be served?

I know that secondarying does help to remove even more sediment but I figure if I cold crash this in the primary after 4 weeks in the primary, I should have a pretty clear beer in the end. My goal is to have optimal hop aroma for serving so I figure tossing in a hop sack a few days before our party, this would be my best bet. I have never dry hopped in the keg so that is my only concern.

Please let me know if anyone has done this and your experience. Thanks!

90% of the time when I make it I do 3 weeks or so in primary, then keg with a couple oz. of Columbus. The hops stay in the keg til it's gone, usually 2 months or so.

90% of the time when I make it I do 3 weeks or so in primary, then keg with a couple oz. of Columbus. The hops stay in the keg til it's gone, usually 2 months or so.

So when you dry hop in the keg do you use bags, or what's your procedure?

Brewed up my second batch of this last weekend. Used half a yeast cake of 1450 from yoopers oatmeal stout. I mashed a little lower, 149, since I like my ipa đry.

Question about the dry hops. I usually use about 5 oz dry hops for an ipa. Would say 2 oz Colombia and 1 oz Chinook dry hops, plus 2 oz Columbus in the keg be OK? Anyone done much experimenting with the dry hops on this?

Brewed up my second batch of this last weekend. Used half a yeast cake of 1450 from yoopers oatmeal stout. I mashed a little lower, 149, since I like my ipa đry.

Question about the dry hops. I usually use about 5 oz dry hops for an ipa. Would say 2 oz Colombia and 1 oz Chinook dry hops, plus 2 oz Columbus in the keg be OK? Anyone done much experimenting with the dry hops on this?

Sounds delicious to me! FWIW, my experience is that you likely won't be able to tell much difference between 149 and 153. Also, Greg Doss of Wyeast did some testing and found maximum fermentability at 153. A final data point...I recently brewed exactly the same recipe twice, mashing once at 153 and once at 165. Attenuation was exactly the same and there was no detectable difference in body. I was really surprised.

Sounds delicious to me! FWIW, my experience is that you likely won't be able to tell much difference between 149 and 153. Also, Greg Doss of Wyeast did some testing and found maximum fermentability at 153. A final data point...I recently brewed exactly the same recipe twice, mashing once at 153 and once at 165. Attenuation was exactly the same and there was no detectable difference in body. I was really surprised.

That is crazy!! More 15 minute mashes for me :)

Interesting. Thanks denny! I've also heard that a longer mash helps increase attenuation. I went for 90 minutes. Regardless, looking forward to another rye ipa. There's a brewery here in Denver that makes a fantastic rye ipa. It's something like 30% rye. If you get a chance to try redacted rye, from renegade brewery, don't miss it. Fantastic beer.

Has anyone ever converted this recipe to a lower gravity version? I'd like to brew it but maybe in the neighborhood of 1055-1060. Can I just do that in BeerSmith, maintaining percentages? More importantly, would it completely alter the beer's character? Any suggestions are appreciated. I just don't care much for higher alcohol brews... Like to knock back more than a few without getting smashed!

Sent from my iPad

Back