What about acerglyn!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy29

Reaction score
I'm very intrigued as to what others experiences were with this. I'm in the process of making what the recipe call "maple mead" just put 1 quart grade b ny syrup 3 qt water and some raisins heated it up cooled it down added my yeast. Red star champagne yeast. Bend bubbling alway. Any pointers or advice?

I'm very intrigued as to what others experiences were with this. I'm in the process of making what the recipe call "maple mead" just put 1 quart grade b ny syrup 3 qt water and some raisins heated it up cooled it down added my yeast. Red star champagne yeast. Bend bubbling alway. Any pointers or advice?
It will be maple wine of sorts....no honey = not mead, just sayin'

I'd try making it, at some point. I love maple syrup, especially on waffles and pancakes. Maple syrup is a little bit more expensive than honey, I think.

Fermenting birch syrup interests me too.

I made a batch last spring. I tapped a few trees near the house for syrup. I used 5# of Honey and 4# (about of syrup) I can't remember the yeast. It smelled and tasted amazing while fermenting, but I let it ferment to long and it was very dry and tart. When I try again I am going to kill the yeast earlier.

How do you plan on killing the yeast?
Have you tried back sweetening the batch that fermented to dry (it sounds like it finished fermenting)?

How do you plan on killing the yeast?
Have you tried back sweetening the batch that fermented to dry (it sounds like it finished fermenting)?

Idk how to kill the yeast. I used the champagne yeast for a drier batch as I plan running running this through a still. If I wanted a sweet I was told to use a wyeast blend.
When should I kill the yeast. It's been going for about 3 days. Should i kill the yeast or just keep racking until it's clear

I made a batch last spring. I tapped a few trees near the house for syrup. I used 5# of Honey and 4# (about of syrup) I can't remember the yeast. It smelled and tasted amazing while fermenting, but I let it ferment to long and it was very dry and tart. When I try again I am going to kill the yeast earlier.

What was "too long". What was your batch size?

newguy29:
Sorry for the long wait for the reply I have been busy.

To kill the yeast I use a combination of Campden tablets and Potassium Sorbate. I do it to keep the sweetness up without having to have a high ABV.

Fermenting too long was until it finished fermenting on its own. It was drier that I wanted and had lost some of the great flavor I had from samples.

The batch was for 4 gallons.

I kegged it and would occasionally add a table spoon of Maple syrup when I served.

Meta and Sorbate will not stop a fermentation, nor will it kill yeast, this is one of the biggest misconceptions I'll bore you with an outline of Meta and Sorbate:

Potassium metabisulfite is used to prevent spoilage and further fermentation by removing oxygen, by removing the oxygen it chokes off micro-organisms and will prevent them from reproducing. It will not stop a fermentation.

The only reason that I'd ever add Potassium Sorbate, is if I plan on back sweetening wine that has finished fermenting, it does not stop fermentation, but is used to keep wines from starting to ferment again after the fermentation has been completed, it does this by rendering micro-organisms unable to reproduce.

I use to make sparkling wine the traditional way until I found a post on another website posted by Bzac, one of the best winemakers on the net in my opinion, the post can be found here, a few posts into the discussion Bzac posts his method, I've used this method several times with great success.

I hope that this helps.

I understand what you are talking about had looked into the process a lot before using it. Instead of kill the yeast I could have (should have,I am a little lazy sometimes) said:
use Camden Tablets to slow fermentation and Sorbate to protect from oxygenation as it sits and clears until I could cold crash, keg and force carbonate.

Thanks for the link it was an interesting read. There is a thread about making encapsulated yeast you might like. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=404698

Meta and Sorbate will not stop a fermentation, nor will it kill yeast, this is one of the biggest misconceptions I'll bore you with an outline of Meta and Sorbate:

Potassium metabisulfite is used to prevent spoilage and further fermentation by removing oxygen, by removing the oxygen it chokes off micro-organisms and will prevent them from reproducing. It will not stop a fermentation.

The only reason that I'd ever add Potassium Sorbate, is if I plan on back sweetening wine that has finished fermenting, it does not stop fermentation, but is used to keep wines from starting to ferment again after the fermentation has been completed, it does this by rendering micro-organisms unable to reproduce.

I use to make sparkling wine the traditional way until I found a post on another website posted by Bzac, one of the best winemakers on the net in my opinion, the post can be found here, a few posts into the discussion Bzac posts his method, I've used this method several times with great success.

I hope that this helps.

Back