About to switch: 1/2 BBL 3V to 1 BBL eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebstauffer

Reaction score
I started brewing with extract and the occasional bucket-in-a-bucket ala Papazian about 25 years ago. After a lengthy brewing hiatus for wife & kids I built a 3 vessel system. Now, after 5 years using that I want to cut more time off my brew day. I've already invested in an on-demand water heater, and have taken other shortcuts (no sparge mashing, move to strictly kegging, plate chiller) to shorten my brewday. I've read here and elsewhere of the magical "Three hour brewday" which seriously piqued my curiosity.

My plan:

Bayou Classic 142 quart stainless pot with mods for two elements, sightglass, and bottom drain
Bayou Classis 122 quart stainless pot
Custom stainless mesh insert from Utah Biodiesel
Custom stainless stand
Gantry crane from 1 5/8" strut, P2950 strut trolleys, and a harbor freight 440 lbs hoist
Various pieces and parts from my existing 3V system

I can see no real downsides to this approach if my primary goal is to reduce the length of my brewday. I have never done back to back batches (even so I can get 160 degree water from my on demand plus a custom inline water heater), I'm not overly concerned with efficiency, and the hoist will address the common concern of "it's too heavy".

The pot and basket have been ordered so the bulk (majority I hope) of my budget has been spent.

What am I missing that I haven't thought of? Am I going to regret this? :(

Following up to my own post... I've ditched the basket (if the Amazon seller will cancel the order :eek:) and am getting a quote on a custom filter basket from arborfab.com. Thanks to those that recommended this approach.

The hardware plan sounds great. If you go with the custom basket, it would be good to consider designing the hanging system for ease of dumping. Also, don't forget to look for opportunities to shave time from your process.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/09/01/does-mash-length-matter-exbeeriment-results/

http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/14/boil-length-pt-2-pilsner-malt-exbeeriment-results/

I certainly wouldn't take their word as gospel, but I find their results compelling enough to merit testing in my system. 30 minutes here and there can really add up.

Did you end up selling your 3v Bottom Drain kegs? I'm interested to see how your fixed BIAB setup turns out.

Back