HELP! What to look out for when buying used kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
I stumbled across a guy getting rid of all of his homebrew equiptment. He is setting 4 cornys at $30 a piece (i will try to get a better deal for all of those together plus his fermentors).

I just don't have the slightest clue how to tell if a keg is in good shape or not. Can any one let me know what to look out for when I go to look at them.

He lives two hours away so I dont want to waste my time and gas needlessly!

Thanks!

The main thing I would look at is the opening on the keg. Almost every part on a keg can be replaced easily........but it the opening has a dent then the keg won't seal properly and therefore pretty much useless. Dents in the side or damaged poppits can be fixed. I'm sure tops can be fixed to........but I equate that to a car that's had its frame realigned......it'll never be the same.

$30 per used keg isn't all that great a deal. I would go with a reputable dealer that offers a pressure guarantee instead. Replacement parts for kegs can quickly add up to cost more money than another keg.

$30 per used keg isn't all that great a deal. I would go with a reputable dealer that offers a pressure guarantee instead. Replacement parts for kegs can quickly add up to cost more money than another keg.

+2

You can pick kegs up online for $30 or 35 and they'll stand behind them.

Are they pin locks or ball locks? Twisted sealing area at the corny top as well the lid can be straightened out. I'll take the warped or twisted keg and lid long before a corny with a leaking pipe stub coming from the corny to the lock or the stub threads stripped out or messed up. I bet they're good, hell purchasing cheaper then add shipping will cost you more. JMO's.

well the only way i would buy them is if he cut me a better deal since i have to drive 100+ miles one way. I dont know how they lock...

3k93m33l65O45V25Z3a765c2eec1f354d1ae0.jpg

well the only way i would buy them is if he cut me a better deal since i have to drive 100+ miles one way. I dont know how they lock...

Those are pin lock kegs,
Unless you are already using them, pass on them.
Ball locks are easier to find, and other than that, I have no justification for my bias :D

Unless, that is, if you can tell him "I don't really want them. They are the crappy pin-locks - I'll give you $10 each" :cross:

Actually, I'll take that back. If you don't already have ball locks in your rig, they will work just fine. And if he's offering QD's, lines, regs, or other hardware too, it makes $30.00 more than worth it. There aren't very many problems with a keg you can't fix.
The ones I worry about:
The pressure relief valve - If it's the 2-piece screw together plastic ones, they are IMPOSSIBLE to find, and the lid will have to be replaced for at least $15.00 - But then you have an HLT, garbage can, whatever... unless they are the screw in, key-ring pull type, I pass.
Plastic gas in dip tube (The short one) - I hate the plastic ones. Again, no real justification for my bias...
Rubber handles you could use for a marker - If I get all black by picking up a keg, it's going away...

Food for thought...

They have a website?

lol
No. I'm not sure he could turn on a computer, and his cell is on the door so you can call him over from his house 500' away if he's not there :drunk:

This place is literally about 25x25 and 1/4 of that is a walk in cooler. It is for sale though! $30k gets you the building, land, and inventory :D

I agree with ball locks. They are much more common, so parts are easier to come by and usually cheaper. And you don't usually want to mix ball & pin lock kegs in your system because then you have to swap out connectors all the time.

Those are pin lock kegs,
Unless you are already using them, pass on them.
Ball locks are easier to find, and other than that, I have no justification for my bias :D

Unless, that is, if you can tell him "I don't really want them. They are the crappy pin-locks - I'll give you $10 each" :cross:

Actually, I'll take that back. If you don't already have ball locks in your rig, they will work just fine. And if he's offering QD's, lines, regs, or other hardware too, it makes $30.00 more than worth it. There aren't very many problems with a keg you can't fix.
The ones I worry about:
The pressure relief valve - If it's the 2-piece screw together plastic ones, they are IMPOSSIBLE to find, and the lid will have to be replaced for at least $15.00 - But then you have an HLT, garbage can, whatever... unless they are the screw in, key-ring pull type, I pass.
Plastic gas in dip tube (The short one) - I hate the plastic ones. Again, no real justification for my bias...
Rubber handles you could use for a marker - If I get all black by picking up a keg, it's going away...

Food for thought...

Thank you so much for all your insight (that goes to everyone else too!) The only other relevent post in the listing is
I also have lines & c02 valve.

But no mention of quantities, etc.

Then he should give them to me for free plus pay for my gas and hotel i'm farther away.
Bottom line the seller could care less where your coming from if he has four pinlocks at $30
each, you buy or walk.

Back