How long in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinelayer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I will not be racking to a secondary. Just curious how long to leave my brew in the primary before bottling. My fermentation is complete, and I've had my dry-hops in for three days. So far, everything has been in the primary now for eight days. My plan was to cold crash (first time trying)over the weekend and then bottling on Monday. Thoughts?
This is my second batch.

Cheers!

+1 to Kombat's first statement. But I'm a safety fanatic. Seriously, if you're new at brewing, confirming stable gravity is a really good idea - assuming you're bottling. Bottle bombs can be dangerous.

Get ready for widely varying opinions, beyond what you see here. You'll see some folks insisting you leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks, and others telling you to get it bottled once you've confirmed active fermentation has stopped, some in as little as 7-10 days, depending on style. Splitting the difference is a fine solution to get good quality and some expediency, as long as you've confirmed that fermentation is over with consecutive hydrometer readings.

I've always got a full fridge of beer ready to drink so I'm in no rush to bottle. I don't even look at my fermenter after checking that fermentation has begun for 3-4 weeks. I rarely even take two readings. But the answer is "when it's done fermenting and cleaning itself up". Varies from beer to beer.

When it's done... Taste you gravity sample- just a sip and give it a sniff. So far the batches I've done first and second week it is beer like, but week three or so, once the yeast has finishe fermenting AND cleaned up it tastes and smells like beer. As others have said take your gravity readings don't rely on airlock action.

Back