2 questions in one....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
Last night i bottled my first AG beer, a hop forward IPA. Beer was nice and clear going from the secondary to the bottling bucket, but after mixing with my primeing was cloudy as hell. I usually prime with corn sugar but was all out so i used dark DME. Could this be causing my haze??

Second question. Im chilling using A CF gravity fed into my carboy. I whirlpool, but always end up with a ton of protein break in my carboy. Should i just let it rest longer after the boil before chilling??

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

The DME more than likely caused the haze, but the temperature change that likely occurred during your bottling process could have contributed also.

Some people siphon the wort off of the break material, and also skim break material during the boil. I don't usually do either because I find that my trub tends to drop out completely and form a nice cake on the bottom of my fermentor that I just rack off of when I am bottling/kegging.

Wait, how do you whirlpool without a pump? Just continuous vigorous stirring?

Ive been racking off of the trub in the carboy. Its been 2 batches that ive done this. Im just worried that the break materialmay cause some off flavors??

I was thinking that the DME was the cause of the haze. I let my priming solution cool close to the beer temp before i mixed, about 64 degrees so i doubt its temp related.

H-ost said:
Wait, how do you whirlpool without a pump? Just continuous vigorous stirring?

Yeah a good hard stir. I would like to add a pump to the rig someday when i can afford it. Usually i end up with all of my hps in a good stiff cone but the break not so much

Back