Do I need to turn in my Man card?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
So I am taking my 6 month old beagle in to get neutered tomorrow AM. I have grown quite attached to the little guy in the last 3 or so months. I cannot help but feel kind of 'mean' for making him get neutered. I know he is just a dog and its for his own good, but man I feel guilty of depriving him of, well you know, earthly pleasures. Anyone else get a guilt trip when they took their dog dog in for the dreaded surgery?

Not me! Soon as it's medically recommended, snip those bad boys! It'll save you headaches in the future.

Hell no. Too many unwanted animals are out there suffering. Don't feel bad about this for a second, or I'll go Bob Barker on your ass.

Nah, your good. As long as you are actually going through with it, I wouldn't worry about it. If you actually pussed out, then we might have to start worrying. It is the best thing you can do for your dog, and yourself, if you don't plan of breeding him.

Nah, your a dick! Poor doggy. If you really feel bad about it, you should get yours taken off as well.

J/K, it's the right thing to do.

Geez, you sound like my husband. He had "sympathy pains" when I took Toby to be neutered. There are hundreds of thousands of dogs in shelters- it's the only responsible way to be a pet owner.

Interestingly enough (or maybe not), I noticed that he still gets, um, excited on occasion. Toby, not Bob. Well, Bob gets excited occasionally too. But Toby will get a big old stiffy sometimes. I thought that wouldn't happen after the nuts were gone. {shrug}.

Yea he will certainly get it done tomorrow. I know he is better off, we are better off, and the whole animal community is. Funny enough though, he is extra horny tonight, like he knows.

Nah, your good. As long as you are actually going through with it, I wouldn't worry about it. If you actually pussed out, then we might have to start worrying. It is the best thing you can do for your dog, and yourself, if you don't plan of breeding him.

My thoughts exactly.

Geez, you sound like my husband. He had "sympathy pains" when I took Toby to be neutered. There are hundreds of thousands of dogs in shelters- it's the only responsible way to be a pet owner.

Interestingly enough (or maybe not), I noticed that he still gets, um, excited on occasion. Toby, not Bob. Well, Bob gets excited occasionally too. But Toby will get a big old stiffy sometimes. I thought that wouldn't happen after the nuts were gone. {shrug}.

I think that it can happen but nothing will come of it.

Get it "come of it" :ban::ban::ban:

ba duh buh ching

It adds years to a dogs life, and removes the possibility of cancer in that area in breeds that are prone to it. That said, I did not have my bulldog neutered because of the possibility of him having complications from the surgery.

Certain breeds of dog are prone to difficulties breathing because of the shape of their head, muzzle and throat. The most common dogs affected are the “brachycephalic” breeds. Brachycephalic means “short-nosed.” Good examples of brachycephalic breeds include the English bulldog, Pug, Pekingese, and Boston terrier. These dogs have been bred to have relatively short muzzles and noses and, because of this, the throat and breathing passages in these dogs are frequently undersized or flattened.

A neighbor lost a bulldog puppy during the neuter.

My vet advised against it with my german shorthair. It being a working dog, hunting that is, he said he would get fat and lazy. Fat and lazy are not enviable traits in a pointer.

And my dogs do not "get any" unless I say so. I have never had a ***** get bred accidentally. And yes that is the dictionary term for a female dog. Over the years I have been involved with breeding/showing of a number of AKC breeds.

I've only had girl dogs, but they've always been spayed. I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I can live through a vasectomy, he can live though being neutered.

I can understand getting emotional if you had to put the dog down or something but not just getting him snipped.

*slap* :D

My vet advised against it with my german shorthair. It being a working dog, hunting that is, he said he would get fat and lazy. Fat and lazy are not enviable traits in a pointer.

Odd. My male GSP was snipped long before we rescued him, and that sumbitch is all lean muscle:

xanmarch14.jpg

well, he is currently at the vet :( When I pick him up he will be half the man-dog he use to be.

Now that the deed is done (well almost, I need to pick him up in a few hours), can anyone tell me how badly their respective dogs tried to mess with the, ahem, wound? The vet tried selling me a neck cone, but I already got one from a friend. And how long before my dog is back to full capacity (minus testies of course)?

lol, you're making me want to cry...

You think that's sad, try walking around an animal shelter and looking at all those cute pups, knowing that a good percentage of them will be euthanized within a week or two.

I design animal shelters for a living. I also love dogs somethin' fierce. And it breaks my heart when I walk around the shelters I've done, and see these cute dogs lined up. So please, no offense, but spare the tears for his nuts.

Oh hush. It's done and I everyone agrees it's the right thing to do. It's just that phrases like "half the man-dog" and "minus testies" bring about an emotional response.

Oh hush. It's done and I everyone agrees it's the right thing to do. It's just that phrases like "half the man-dog" and "minus testies" bring about an emotional response.

Well, I guess it's just that every male dog I've ever had has been neutered, so it's commonplace for me.

Only dog I knew that wasn't neutured was my cousin's dog RAMBO. Lived to be a ripe old 14yo (springer spaniel) and truly deserved his name. Every morning I would see him trotting up the hill from a night of partying in riverside. He often got into fights, and would arrive home with scars. He also got a ton of tail, tho, which I'm sure is why he went down there in the first place. Great old dog, but was my cousin's family right to not only forgoe his neuterdom but to let him run wild? No. I'm sure he caused more trouble then we know about.

You're doing him a big favor. I've never had a dog that wasn't neutered, and with one exception, they have all lived long, healthy lives.

My dogs are shown, so they aren't neutered. They don't leave the house without a leash and we don't randomly breed them for money. For a pet dog, then you did the absolute right thing. You'll be happier AND dog will be happier in the long run.

Well, he is doing pretty well so far. He was still pretty doped up and hungover yesterday and last night, but he is getting back to his old self. Except for the Collar of Shame he has to wear for a few days...

0221091250a.jpg

Today I made him the ultimate dog delicacy. I took some beef stew meat, threw it in the magic bullet, added a little bacon grease, and pureed it. Then I mixed a bit with some peanut butter and loaded it in his kong.

I dont think I have ever seen a dog look that sad in my life.... its like he just lost his two best friends and a terrible accident..... oh wait. I guess I kinda did.

Im sure he loved that treat though but I dont know if I would have wanted to put raw meat in a kong.

Kongs are pretty money. We usually only put in PB and maybe a dog treat but a good soak in dishwater breaks up anything. They clean out way better then I thought they would.

Lord, that dog couldn't look any sadder. Poor guy.:(

Well, he just had his jewels sliced off and then had a ridiculous cone put on his head. I'd be pretty freaking sad too. Good thing he lacks opposable thumbs or he'd probaby rip a vein right out of Skins_Brews' neck.

But it was the right thing to do. The poor fella just doesn't know it yet.

Latest posts

Back