Bucket lid leakage - kraeusen cleanup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjm

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Brewing my third batch, and I had my first beersplosion. Actually, I suppose it isn't that bad - but the airlock was full of kraeusen and there was some leakage from the bucket lid.

The lid has never been completely airtight, and there usually isn't much airlock activity. I've rigged a blow-off valve, but have two questions that I couldn't find a quick answer to.

1 - I've done my best to cleanup underneath the lid without taking it off. There is still some kraeusen that I can't get at easily. Knowing that the lid is not airtight, is this a vector for infection? Leave well enough alone, or pop off the lid and give a thorough cleanup ASAP?

2 - I haven't been terribly worried about the lid being completely airtight until now. I suspect even with the blow-off the path of least resistance is through the unsealed lid. Is this generally an issue with the lid or the fermenter bucket?

Thanks!

Plenty of people simply rest the lid on top of their buckets. It's not my way, but I'm probably just too paranoid. Heck, plenty of people that use carboys just put tinfoil over the top, and it works fine for them.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about cleaning up the krausen under the lid. Unless that's whats preventing your lid from sealing, and you decide you want a good strong seal.

As for the lid, do you know why it doesn't seal? Do you have a link we could see online, or did you get if from your LHBS? I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out why my bucket lid wouldn't seal on my first batch, only to find out I had it upside down. :drunk:

Back