Extract Chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregJ

Reaction score
Here is what I came up with and looking for suggestions since this is my first stout. I am looking for a nice chocolate flavor with hints of caramel.

16 oz. Crystal malt 60L
12 oz Chocolate malt (should I make it more?)
3 Lbs. light DME
3.3 Lbs. Dark LME
16 oz baker’s chocolate (probably 8oz dark 8 oz regular)

I don’t think I’ll need lactose because the Crystal will make it sweet enough.
I will probably use Hallertaur hops because that’s what I have on hand.

How does this sound?

I would go all light extract and add .75 lbs of roasted barley to the steeping grains you already have. I like to have control over my recipes, and dark extract takes some of that control away.

For the chocolate I would go with 6-8 oz of cocoa powder. The fat in the baker’s chocolate won't add anything to the beer (and may cause stability and head issues). I like to mix the coca powder with hot water to form a paste and add that to the secondary, it integrates easily and gives a great chocolate flavor. A vanilla bean is also a nice addition since almost all chocolate desserts also have vanilla.

Go with a clean yeast and just bittering hops. You can always add lactose at bottling if it needs more sweetness, but I bet you will be fine.

Back