Military Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yuri_Rage said:
Langley is the black hole of ACC? Ever been to Cannon???

I've never been to Cannon, but I'm sure if I had I'd somehow end up back at Langley.

I could shut off my car miles outside the gate and the base would just suck me in. I got great gas mileage! :D

crazy_piump: You were in the 1/7th? I inspected your arms racks back then...as well as the Engineers on the other side of the PX. I supported 1/6th mostly.

What a small world it is. I wasn't the armor at that time but became the armor when I PCS'ed to Colorado. Germany was an awesome experience!! Good to know you!!

USAF 1993-present--Weather Forecaster

Assignments:

Hurlburt Field, Fl
Guam (Joint Typhoon Warning Center)
Keesler (forecasting school)
Ft Drum, NY
Misawa, Japan
Langley AFB, VA
Tinker AFB, OK

Deployed/TDY to Egypt, Italy, Bosnia, Turkey, Kuwait, Iraq.....

Just pinned on Master Sergeant first of this month!! :cool:

SwAMi75 said:
USAF 1993-present--Weather Forecaster

Assignments:

Hurlburt Field, Fl
Guam (Joint Typhoon Warning Center)
Keesler (forecasting school)
Ft Drum, NY
Misawa, Japan
Langley AFB, VA
Tinker AFB, OK

Deployed/TDY to Egypt, Italy, Bosnia, Turkey, Kuwait, Iraq.....

Just pinned on Master Sergeant first of this month!! :cool:
Congratulations on making MSgt! :mug:
I hate to say this but I made E-7 a year before you joined the USAF. :drunk:

2002-2006 USAF Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Spent most of enlistment in Dover AFB, been to nearly every country that ends in STAN.

BleedsDogFish said:

Spent most of enlistment in Dover AFB, been to nearly every country that ends in STAN.
EOD! Awesome!
I'm AMMO and EOD has always been the best group of people to deal with. I have a lot of admiration for what you do and you have my thanks for doing it. :mug:

RichBrewer said:
EOD! Awesome!
I'm AMMO and EOD has always been the best group of people to deal with. I have a lot of admiration for what you do and you have my thanks for doing it. :mug:

No problem, serving my country was a pleasure. I always tried to get along with AMMO folk. It made our lives easier, especially when we needed blow on short notice:mug:

Made it out with all my limbs and fingers, I have lost some friends though. When I become proficient enough, I plan on making an EOD IPA, to help quench the thirst of some of my active duty brothers.

BleedsDogFish said:

Nice....went to EOD school in 92-93...might have to dig out our class photo. The only one I have left is from Eglin or perhaps it's from Indian Head.

fusion94 said:
Nice....went to EOD school in 92-93...might have to dig out our class photo. The only one I have left is from Eglin or perhaps it's from Indian Head.

Nice, The whole school is at Eglin now. They stopped going to the Head in the late nineties. I don't even think i have a class picture. I was one of two Air Force in an all Navy Class...

BleedsDogFish said:
Made it out with all my limbs and fingers, I have lost some friends though. When I become proficient enough, I plan on making an EOD IPA, to help quench the thirst of some of my active duty brothers.
Now that is a great idea! :mug:

New to the forum, and to homebrewing. Loving it, and pretty well hooked after two good batches.

USN, retired ( 1977-1997 )

91-96 United States Army
98G-RU

3 years - A Company/125th M.I. BN/25th I.D. Schofield Barracks, HI

Eyes of Lightning!

Hawgbranch said:
91-96 United States Army
98G-RU

3 years - A Company/125th M.I. BN/25th I.D. Schofield Barracks, HI

Eyes of Lightning!

I went through DLI 92-93 and was a G until 99. Were you in F Co?

Frozentech said:
New to the forum, and to homebrewing. Loving it, and pretty well hooked after two good batches.

USN, retired ( 1977-1997 )

Welcome Aboard. what did you do for the canoe club? I've been a Bee for all 16 years and hopefully I'll be a chief here by fall. Found out today I made board.

USAF
2T251 Air Trans looking to cross train into either weather or eod. would much rather eod though....
April 2005-now
Pope AFB NC
Al Asad Iraq, and going to be headed back

nitrousjunkie

Dont think you will have a problem with EOD. Have fun being deployed 90% of your career. I know a guy MSgt who was 4 years shy of retireing. He elected to not reenlist because he was going to be deployed 3 of that and didnt want to lose his wife and kids. Damn shame at that too.

As for that- I still dont know why anyone stays military once they have been deplyed and see the contractors making 10x what they make doing the same thing. EOD contractors are making a ton in Iraq and Afghanistan. Same with Comm Computers too, I dont know why I stay in when I see some unqualified idiot making $250K to do the same thing I am.

60% of all spending on the war has been contract work. Isnt that amazing

MikeFlynn74 said:
As for that- I still dont know why anyone stays military once they have been deplyed and see the contractors making 10x what they make doing the same thing. EOD contractors are making a ton in Iraq and Afghanistan. Same with Comm Computers too, I dont know why I stay in when I see some unqualified idiot making $250K to do the same thing I am.

60% of all spending on the war has been contract work. Isnt that amazing

Because I didnt join the Army for the money.

MikeFlynn74 said:
thats a given- But I would like to think it could be better for us if we didnt pay "contractors" to run the war.

Oh I definatly 1000% agree with that.
I like it when POS soldiers get out for DUI's or they dont know thier jobs, and then go work for contract companies...that really chaps my hide.

I like it when POS soldiers get out for DUI's or they dont know thier jobs, and then go work for contract companies...that really chaps my hide

I personally know 2 one kicked out for 2 DUIs and one for Coke use. Both make $235K now working as contractors in Kuwait

MikeFlynn74 said:
I personally know 2 one kicked out for 2 DUIs and one for Coke use. Both make $235K now working as contractors in Kuwait
Just playing devil's advocate here but- If they were such POSs why would you trust them to tell the truth. I personally had stories told about me, in front of me that were so exaggerated that I just let fly. If the audience included someone that I actually knew and or liked I would set them straight later.
I know guys who got out chasing these jobs as well and the Army was no worse off for their leaving but I would bet anything that they aren't making all that much and the contracts are going to dry up soon, how soon depends on this election. If they are losers that couldn't make it in the military they need all the ego stroking they can get.

Just saying, anyone that's served knows firsthand the "Grass is greener..." syndrome or the best two places in the Army is the place I just left and the one I'm going to next (well at least before 9-11).

If they were such POSs why would you trust them to tell the truth.

Because I know the Capt who over saw thier contracts. The Gov paid 300K per position and the contractor paid ther personnel about 65K less.

are losers that couldn't make it in the military

They were awesome at thier jobs- Just did stuff to get them axed.

I guess I am just in a bad mood right now, as I sit here in Afghanistan not allowed to do my job because its been contracted out to a civillian. I really dont understand why I am here.

Army 91-98
Landstuhl, GE
Ft Stewart, GA
Camp Casey, ROK
Ft Campbell, KY
Deployed to: Egypt & Saudi

AF Reserves 98-01
March ARB, CA

USAF 01-Present
Scott AFB, IL
Dover, DE
Deployed to: Saudi, Kuwait, Macedonia, Kuwait (Where I'm sitting right now) & Iraq

My best "deployment" was to Biloxi right after Katrina for hurricane relief. Helping fellow Americans after a tragedy like that... Priceless.

USN 1999-2004 Mostly Whidbey Island WA, with some floats on the Stennis and Vinson.

2004-Present USN Civilian Working at a Navy Depot Facility fixing Aircraft electronics after the navy gets done breaking it so bad that they are unable to. I know both sides of the fence i used to be the squid who was screwing it all up and sending it to guys like me.

Still a squid through and through though, I do miss being out to sea.

Let's get a little tradition thrown into the mix here as well. I am also a Golden Shellback, you know what i am talking about lets hear from ya!

2000-2007 Air Force

Columbus AFB, MS
Altus AFB, OK
Grand Forks AFB, ND - majority of my time here was actually spent orbiting over Afghanistan or Iraq.
NKAWTG! :rockin:
Now out, but stationed with the SWMBO at Little Rock AFB, AR

MikeFlynn74 said:
I know what a shellback is but not a Golden.

The same thing but the equator and the dateline at the same time, Suppose i am in the order of the Dragon too but never got that one bestowed officially. Here you go:

Wiki-Wiki-Wiki
Another rare status is the Golden shellback, a person who has crossed the equator at the 180th meridian (international date line). When a ship must cross these lines, the ship's captain will usually intentionally plot a course across the Golden X so that the ship's crew can be initiated into the Golden Shellbacks.

Any Blue nose, Red nose, Order of the Ditch, Order of the Rock or any others out there, there has to be some other sailors out there who have been to sea.:cross:

WOP31 said:
...there has to be some other sailors out there who have been to sea.:cross:
4 years, 8 months in the USN, never stepped foot on a boat the whole time:D .

P-3 Orion Weapons Systems Tech, no tailhooks. Over 3 years "sea" duty. 2 tours to Diego Garcia, a couple to Kadena, and a few months in Al Masirah, Oman, during Bush I's reign.

(edited to correct service time)

Back