Ten Gallon Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering about you folks that brew 10 gallon batches. What in the world do you do w/100 bottles or 2 kegs of the same stuff?

Do you drink that much that you go thru it fast?? or do you have a lot of friends over that help you?

Of course you may have lots of storage room and can build up a nice selection.

Here in Hawai`i I can't see storing beer at "room temp" because my room temp varies from 80/68 in our "winter" to 85/75 during the summer in my un-airconditioned house.

Besides I just don't have all that room to store it any way.

Not saying anything bad about the big patches, just wondering.

Okole Maluna! :mug:

In retrospect it takes the same amount of time to brew 10 or 5 gallons.
Some people like the larger return from the same amount of labor.
I plan on brewing 10g batchs soon and will keg half and bottle half so its more portable.
Plus i have a large crawlspace under the house that keeps from large swings between winter and summer.

I "give away" one keg and drink the other one. You are right though that unless you are giving away the beer 10 gallons is too much for one person IMO.

I like splitting a ten gallon batch and using two different yeasts and different hops for dry hopping. I may keg both, or bottle one, keg the other. I have plenty of storage space, so that helps if I want to bottle age.

Thanks for the replys. I know the time is pretty much the same even for me and my 1.75 gallon batches. I guess space is one important factor and that most of you folks "over there" have air-conditioning during the summer and cold storage spaces in the winter. Shoots I was visiting friends in Vegas a few Decembers ago and they kept the house at 65*. I was freezing even in my flannel shirts.

I only drink 1 a day most of the time and sometimes after hiking friends stay over for a few beers but even w/that my small batches sometimes stack up and I skip a week of brewing. See w/my small batches I must brew just about every week and a half and get about 16 bottles each brew.

Also if I go to our brew club meetings I'll bring a few bottles a sample of say one of each I have in the refer.

Aloha and Okole Maluna

I hate to admit it, but we drink it almost all by ourselves. I make 10 gallon batches of beers I love, and they go quick!

A keg holds something like 40 pints. And there are two beer drinkers in our house. So, even a pint of day each is less than 3 weeks for a keg. And we both drink more than one pint. :D:D

It sucks when everything comes together and you produce a GREAT beer but only have 5 gallons. I brew 5 gal now but in a year hopefully I will have the ability to do 10 gal batches.

I keg half and bottle the other half to share with others. Depending on how long the mash is, a brew session is 5-6 hrs from start to end of clean up. Not too much longer than the 5 gallon batches I once brewed.

I have four taps on my fridge. I usually have 1 or 2 taps for the staple beers that I want all the time. And 1-2 taps of whatever I'm experimenting/trying or seasonal.

I will always make 10 gallons of my staples (irish red, oaked IPA0, just because I drink those the most and don't want to have to brew those every month. The one-offs I have no problem doing 5 of. Or if a friend chips in and wants to brew with me, we split the batch.

And yes, kegging makes LOTS of friends. Plus I'll take a keg to a party if I'm feeling generous.

Latest posts

Back