What are the top 5 EXPERIMENTAL US craft breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrim001

Reaction score
What are the top 5 EXPERIMENTAL US craft breweries?

IMO (not in order):

1. Dogfish Head
2. Odell
3. Allagash
4. Cigar City
5. Goose Island?

Dogfish Head is the only american brewery that springs to mind when you say "experimental". that's why i love them. sometimes they score big. sometimes they produce a dud.

Dogphish said:
Dogfish Head is the only american brewery that springs to mind when you say "experimental". that's why i love them. sometimes they score big. sometimes they produce a dud.

This was one of their duds I had recently. Smoked tree tomato porter, tasted like a sicilian hobos bunghole.

But DFH definitely seems like they are #1. It seems like they have no consideration for profit margin or commercial viability with their brews, Sam just thinks of something and then they brew it. Wish I could get my hands on more of their stuff.

ForumRunner_20111124_132413.jpg

Haha. You'll have some soon! I just picked up two each of *****'s Brew and Faithful Ale (Pearl Jam Anniverary Ale). The Pearl Jam beer was insane!!

I've got a bomber of that *****'s Brew (first release) in a cabinet. It was just alright. I also have a Bruery / Cigar City collaboration brew called Marron Acidifie that was excellent.

I would replace Allagash with Russian River Brewery. Vinnie has done some great things with sours.

I think if you look at some of the nano's all they make is "crazy' beers. Everything made by Epic Ales in Seattle is pretty experimental. Having never tasted it I don't know if their beers are any good but definetly experimental. It pretty easy to be experimental when you are only brewing 1 bbl at a time.

I've been digging my local spot Breakside here in Portland. Every Wednesday they release a new beer (not always crazy/experimental tho), plus have various collaborations at any given time on top of their year 'round beers.

Airborneguy said:
Haha. You'll have some soon! I just picked up two each of *****'s Brew and Faithful Ale (Pearl Jam Anniverary Ale). The Pearl Jam beer was insane!!

Sweeet. Don't stress about trying to get it out over the weekend btw. I'm not even leaving the house personally unless I need propane for my banjo burner

I just tried the Stone 11-11-11 Vertical Epic, it's made with Cinnamon sticks and Anaheim chiles, and Funk Works brewery with their Hibiscus Resistance Belgian.

On March of this year Goose Island was bought by, Anheuser-Busch InBev.

Odin, out of Seattle. Can't say I like all their stuff, but it is very experimental and original.

Right brain in Traverse City Mi. Local brewery out there on some stuff but very good.

I also disagree with Russian River as experimental. Solid production of sour beers but not really getting into the wacky stuff with it. I mean that as a compliment; it's very difficult to produce sours that have a consistent taste batch after batch over time.

Dogfish is hardly experimental. They are more of a marketing machine. Midas Touch is a lousy beer and a waste of Saffron. I'd rather have Saffron in a cream sauce over fish than in a beer where it is wasted.

I think Moonlight Brewing out of California does a good job. The beer called Working for Tips has a great flavor from ample amounts of redwood tips, or it may have been cedar...

Agreed. Russian river is hardly experimental. If anything they make great sours consistent with real lambic/geuze profiles.

If Russian River is not experimental then what you really mean by experimental is wacky crappy beer. I can name a few of those breweries and agree DFH belongs on the top of that list.

Russian River constantly does new stuff that is good, stands the test of time, and is imitated by other brewers.

I guess everyone has their own opinions... I remember the first time a drank a Midas I didn't care for it either, and now I love the stuff. But whether you like it or hate it, it's hard to refute that it is experimental.

Stone brewery should be on the list..
Their Green tea ipa is really good..:mug:

If Russian River is not experimental then what you really mean by experimental is wacky crappy beer. I can name a few of those breweries and agree DFH belongs on the top of that list.

Russian River constantly does new stuff that is good, stands the test of time, and is imitated by other brewers.

I think you are being argumentative. You are welcome to your opinion, but I think you are redefining the topic. Experimental would be considered brewing with ingredients or processes that are well outside the norm.

Russian river makes excellent IPAs, but they are not "experimental". They make a line of sour beers, but they are not "experimental". Yes, adding currants and fermenting in wine barrels isn't common, but I don't think this is pushing the envelope.

DFH is experimental. They use non-traditional ingredients (too much IMO).

For the record, I do think that RR could be the finest brewery in the country. I don't much care for DFH beers.

- Dogfish head - Anyone who disagrees is foolish, and I stand behind that. No one said experimental had to be good, it's just experimental.
- Cigar City - definitely some funky stuff coming from them.
- Shorts - I find most of their experimental beers disgusting(key lime pie, etc) but they are out there
- stone can be experimental, Belgo IPA and Belgo RIS come to mind, as do the vertical epics
-Russian River is not, sorry. Absolutely excellent beers, without question world class, and they usually set the curve that everyone else is judged by, but they aren't that experimental. At least not in the top 5

@oldworld, I 1000% completely disagree with you. Jut because you don't see the value in saffron in beer doesn't mean there isn't value there. Clearly some people like it, and it's experimental because no one else out there is doing it: they are experimenting with new things.

I remember listening to Sam from DFH in an interview talk in response to the Left Hand Brewmaster saying "Any monkey can throw 400 pounds of hops in a barrel". To paraphrase Sam: if there actually is some monkey running a brewery that happens to throw 400 pounds of hops in a barrel, and there's a village nearby with people that are willing to pay money for this monkey's beer, then it's a product that is worthy and valuable.

Moral of the story, Dogfish is a thriving brewery, their beers aren't for everyone, and they acknowledge that. But they are definitely experimental, and as long as people continue to pay money for their beer, there is value in their product.

I'm actually reading Brewing Up a Business right now and it has given me a newfound respect for Sam Calagione. I've never been a big DFH fan (although the Pearl Jam beer is top 10 for me), but his ethics, values, and business sense are amazing. I highly recommend the book to anyone who likes to reading brewing business material.

So the brewer considered responsible for creating the double IPA style isn't experimental? Got it.

I completely agree with remilard on this - some people seem to be addressing "experimental" with complete respect to ingredients, rather than technique and practice.

I guess everyone has their own opinions... I remember the first time a drank a Midas I didn't care for it either, and now I love the stuff. But whether you like it or hate it, it's hard to refute that it is experimental.

Agree totally. I'm not a big DFH fan (a good percentage of my least-favorite beers of all time are DFH), and yeah - there's definately a strong marketing aspect to what they do. Still, they try stuff that no one else tries. Problem is, after they try something weird, even if the beer is **** they still sell it!

This was one of their duds I had recently. Smoked tree tomato porter, tasted like a sicilian hobos bunghole.

But DFH definitely seems like they are #1. It seems like they have no consideration for profit margin or commercial viability with their brews, Sam just thinks of something and then they brew it. Wish I could get my hands on more of their stuff.

i haven't heard of that one yet, but it looks like that is NOT a DFH beer. it looks like a collaboration beer brewed at another brewery.

...that means DFH helped come up with the recipe, but that bottle did not come from the DFH factory.

Dogphish said:
i haven't heard of that one yet, but it looks like that is NOT a DFH beer. it looks like a collaboration beer brewed at another brewery.

...that means DFH helped come up with the recipe, but that bottle did not come from the DFH factory.

Correct. I guess even though it has the fish logo it is not actually brewed at DFH.

Portamarillo was one of the beers that he did for the TV show, with another brewer from New Zealand.

No Jolly Pumpkin mention??

Everything they do is first class ImHO but though different its as said before, not out of the box. I splurge on their wonderfl beers all the time maybe for dregs to dump in mybarrel?
Sorry about the punctuation, lm playing with my black friday tablet.;)

Back