Nottingham Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidRex

Reaction score
I've read that Nottingham can range from 57 degF to somewhere in the 70's. When I brewed my last batch, the temp of the room was 68-69 and when it was actively fermenting the temp of the ferm went up to almost 75 which I thought is just a little too high. The beer tasted fine though. I moved my current batch to a room that is around 60 and the ferm temp is around 63 is this going to change the outcome by fermenting at a lower temp? I know that it will take longer. Is 75 too high for Nottingham?

Nottingham is great for its temp tolerances. 75 for a short time really isnt that bad for this strain of yeast. I wouldn't make it a normal practice of fermenting that high though.

Active fermentation has been adding approximately 5 deg above the ambient temp in the room so should I just keep fermenting in my room that is around 60?

Also is it better to move my secondaries to the colder room also?

Latest posts

Back