does lager yeast settle faster than ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
so i washed some wlp001 on friday. ended up with 3 canning jars of cloudy liquid, as usual. By Saturday morning, the top quarter had cleared. Looking good so far.

Saturday afternoon, I washed some wlp800 lager yeast. got 3 canning jars of cloudy liquid, as usual. By saturday night, the lager yeast had almost completely settled to the bottom of the jars, but the ale yeast was barely half way cleared.

I'm not worried, just curious. Is this what you would expect? Should lager yeast settle that much faster?

thanks. now that i am looking closer at the jars, i think that i left more trub in the lager yeast and so it settled faster because it is heavier. I think i have far less yeast in the lager than I originally thought.

so for future reference...a yeast that has high flocculation will settle faster when refigerated?

Well, flocculation is a way to describe how well the yeast clump when they finish fermenting. A yeast which clumps well, drops faster (gravity has an easier time pulling the yeast out of suspension).
The yeast drops even better when refrigerated, yes.

Back