rubber grommet fell into my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
Damn! when putting my airlock on last night I pushed the little rubber grommet through the lid and into my brew. It was about midnight and I could barely keep my eyes open so I just grabbed the grommet from my other lid, put it in with the airlock and called it a night. I woke up this morning and the fermenting has started. I'm just worried about the grommet in there. thoughts? :confused:

If you look at the similar threads box below, you will see that it is a right of passage among many brewers, and probably the first post of 100s of folks on here since the forum started, so count yourself among the many, the proud, the homebrewers.

Your beer is fine. Leave the grommet alone. You were smart not fishing it out.

:mug:

That happened to me, when the sanitized lid was still wet. That sucker is slippery! It went in, and so I used duct tape to hold my airlock in place. The beer came out great, but that was my first post here on HBT, I believe!

I have done the same thing but it didn't turn out well it was the only batch that i have had infected. Had to throw it way, I hope yours turns out ok

lol this happened to me on my first wine and I must have burned an hour trying to fish it out with my stirring spoon.
It has absolutely no effect on your beer don't sweat it in the least.

I have two lids with grommets and one lid that is drilled and uses a small stopper rather than a grommet. I say get a small stopper if you can, it's much easier to deal with.

Wow this just happened to me tonight! Everything went so well and smooth during this brew, and the last step of a four hour process, the %$#@ing grommet popped out and fell in when I was puitting in the air lock! I was thinking at first that it was rubber so it should float on top and be easy to get out, but lo and behold it sinks to bottom. No way I'm going to find it and get it out. Yes I had removed it and sanitized it before putting it on the lid so hopefully I didn't ruin my batch. Luckily I had another one so I put it in and this time it didn't fall in thankfully. Maybe I will change it before every batch from now on.

I usually ferment in buckets and have never had a grommet fall in my brew. I just recently did a brew and pushed a stopper into my 6 g carboy.

I just left it and grabbed another. Been that way for 3 weeks.

The problem is now how to get a stopper out of the carboy after the Fermentation is over.......

Well not sure why I didn't think of this simple thing before (I guess because I'm an idiot!) but from now on will put the air lock onto the lid and THEN put the lid on the fermenter!

It was comforting to read that it has happened to others and did not ruin the beer. Thanks folks!

from now on will put the air lock onto the lid and THEN put the lid on the fermenter!

The SWMBO was making wine when I wasn't home about a week or two ago and this happened to her... she freaked. Eventually she called me and I told her to take the one off my bucket since it wasn't currently being used.

I went out the following week and picked up a dozen of them to have around just in case.

I also taught her my method, put airlock in lid without liquid in it, put lid on bucket, fill airlock. It's just one more thing you learn with time (and mistakes).

The problem is now how to get a stopper out of the carboy after the Fermentation is over.......

I'm about to test that question. Last night I racked off a beer that I had dropped a bung into. I found a Youtube video where they used a plastic bag to remove a wine cork. Hopefully it works the same way.

p.s. That trick absolutely works. I just tried it for the first time, and got my bung out in about one minute - it's probably best to wash and let the carboy dry first, though, as I took a yeast bath in the process.

Back