Can secondary be air tight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
I have just racked to secondary.
The OG started @1.093 and has came down to 1.022 (been there for 3 days). Do I need to allow for positive pressure or has it fully attenuated.

Allow for positive pressure. The beer might drop a point or two and there will be release of trapped CO2 at racking time.

I am going to go against the group here and say its done, 1.022 puts you at 76% attenuation and 10% abv - there aren't a lot of yeasts that are going to keep going beyond that. Not to mention you have had 3 days without any change in gravity.

You can really taste the alcohol in this one. That is why I want to get to secondary and put it out in the garage where it is about 40 degrees for the next couple months before it starts to warm up outside.

Will it hurt the brew for it to sit at 40 for the next couple of months? Because, after that I have nothing to maintain that temperature.

My hope is to let it sit for 2 months in secondary and then bottle condition for 2 months. I hope this will mellow it out. The alcohol content is so high right now that it is like a funny tasting wine.

Back