Hello From Honolulu, HI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawi6rr

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!
This is my first time posting here I just want to say thanks up front to everyone. I’ve read a couple of the posts and have found many helpful tips.

I’ve brewed my first batch of beer using the Coopers kit it came with the lager brew. I was pleasantly surprised that it was quite easy and turned out better then I expected. However I do like beer and this brew was too lite for me and had a hint of cider smell to it. I found that the kit comes with what Coopers calls their brewing sugar. I prefer a tastier beer with more body. I ordered up their Like Dry Malt and will try their lager again using just that.

Coopers kits come with a little packet of yeast. My question is, if I use White Labs Liquid Lager Yeast will this enhance my beer or is it a waste of money? I’m not exactly sure what different types of yeast or better yeast will do to my brew? What I’m trying to do is make a tastier beer with what I have already.

Thanks!!
Sean

lagers have to be fermented in the 50F range, can you keep the temperature that low for say 4-6weeks? If no they you're limited to ale yeast only. Do a search on lager fermenting on that topic.

Welcome to the forum. I just moved from Honolulu in July of last year. Maintaining fermentation temperature there was one of my most difficult challenges.

Good Luck.

I have to believe that any brew tastes better in Honolulu. Here in Sanford, MI it's a balmy 24 degrees - I'll take 75 degrees any day!

Coopers extract kits are okay, but better are kits with steeping grains. To me, they were more fun to make and make a better beer. The only extra thing you need is a grain bag and mybe thirty more minutes, and some of the kits come with a grain bag included.

Welcome, welcome! Good luck with your brews! I glad the first one was good, the second will be better. +1 on watching the ferment temps tho... As warm as it stays in your neck of the woods you may need to get creative with your temperature control.

Thanks for all the info!!

The Coopers kit says it's lagers can b brewed at as high as 78 degrees. I actually prefer Ales so I will be brewing those from now on but I have one more can of lager to make first. I was able to keep the temp just under 78 degrees but it's getting warmer now so I need to get this next batch done quickly.

The kit came with the Coopers brewing sugar which they say is 90% Dextrose and 10% Maltodextrine. I will be using their lite dry malt extract with the next batch so I beleive this batch should be much better.

If your're coming out this way shoot me an email and maybe we could get together and throw back a few.

[email protected]

BigKahuna said:
Welcome.
Hope we become great friends...Depending on how many guest rooms you have??:D

HaHa!! Unfortunately I don't have any quest rooms but I'm always down for throwing a BBQ and have some cold fresh brew!!

Back