Are check valves necessary on regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all
I was wondering: Are check valves necessary on regulators?
I plan on buying a regulator and start to keg soon. It seems like about 3$ is cheap insurance.

Check valves are necessary; do you want to spend about $50 on a regulator and have beer expand it's way up into it (the regulator)? Check valves are a 'negative pressure' assurance. I wouldn't have a regulator without a check valve.

There is a certain brand of co2 shutoff valve that have built in check valves. Sorry don't know what they are right off hand. I got mine at the LHBS. I look if you're interested.

You've got it: Not necessary, but cheap insurance. If you prime a keg, it is quite easy for it to exceed serving pressure and backflow when connected.

I have a check valve/ball valve at my regulator, and one check valve on each out port of the manifold. They're not that expensive, and it not only prevents backflow, but might prevent the spread of an infection if one occurred.

Yuri_Rage said:
They're not necessary, and I've yet to put them on my rig. However, I really ought to install a couple of them for all the reasons already stated.

ditto. its on my to-do list, which always comes after the SWMBO-list

Back