New RIMS Brewery build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have just started my RIMS brewery build and have the frame almost complete. I just ordered my PID controller, RTD, SSR, burners, regulators etc. I have also bought a 1500 watt, 120 volt heating element for my rims tube but now am having second thoughts about the current draw of the system on a single 15 amp circuit. I will also be using a 1/25 horsepower March pump that will draw about 30 watts (if my calculations are correct).

Unfortunately I do not have the option to run a higher amp circuit to my garage so I am stuck with 15 amps (1440 watts).

Should I replace the 120V, 1500 Watt element?

If so then what would you recommend:
a) 240 Volt, 3500 Watt element (875 watt at 120 volt)
b) 240 Volt, 4500 Watt element (1125 watt at 120 volt)

Would 875 watt even be sufficient to maintain mash temps?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

What are you mashing in? A cooler, converted keg, pot...

I use a 5500W element on 120V and it wont do much more than maintain with a cooler mash tun, tests took ~35-40 min to raise 20 degrees for mash out.

I run a 1500 w, 2 PIDs, one 809 pump and 2 Honeywell vr8200 on one 110 circuit.

You should be ok.

I read somewhere that a high density 4500 Watt, 240 Volt element becomes a low density 1125 Watt element when run at 120 Volts. I this true?

I tried a search but couldn't get the magical combo of words to get results:eek:

Eric

Go to the electrical brewing forum and look at the beginner's electricity sticky thread. It's all there.

Back